My girl on her Wolvy

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotaz

Reaction score
Here's my hauler with 287,000 miles on the first engine and still doesn't burn oil after 18 years. Yeah, F150s are bulletproof.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how did Amber do on the ride? How well did the Wolvy 350 do?

Jim

She loves it. We took it on some trails that I would call very technical for 2x4 ATVs. It has a high clearance for rutted trails that are too sketchy for straddling the ruts due to being on nasty hillsides or what not. Where we were riding you either straddled the ruts when it was safe on the sides, or rode through them when you had big drops off the side of the hill. She did fine and I have to say that I could have done anything on hers that I could have done on my 700XX, if not more. The beauty of the belt drive and nimble handling of the Wolvy shines through when you get caught in a place where you can't turn around. I didn't realize that until we were on the trails. I love that thing. I think your daughter will too.

Thanks for the response. That makes me feel better about the ATV. Can't wait to get it out and give it a try. Please keep me/us posted on future rides and comments on the 350...I really appreciate it. I'll do the same! Have you ever gotten out to Colorado and done any riding?

Your dentist friends name sound familiar. I'll look her up and see if she accepts my dental plan. may as well since I haven't been to a dentist in years.

Thanks for the response. That makes me feel better about the ATV. Can't wait to get it out and give it a try. Please keep me/us posted on future rides and comments on the 350...I really appreciate it. I'll do the same! Have you ever gotten out to Colorado and done any riding?

Your dentist friends name sound familiar. I'll look her up and see if she accepts my dental plan. may as well since I haven't been to a dentist in years.

By all means! She will trip out if you tell her that I referred you to her.

Regarding riding in CO...I have driven my old Trooper literally all over CO, but not any ATVs. I used to live in AZ and came up there a lot. I'm getting married in Crested Butte at the end of the summer so maybe we will get to ride ATVs then.

Pleasure, Rob! I'll look her up and try to get an appointment...have any idea what dental office she works out of? Should definately trip her out. Are you still in contact with her?

Crested Butte is a great place, although I haven't been there in years. What a great place to tie the knot. Congrats in advance, but I doubt "riding" ATV's may not be a first priority...Wink! But I hope both of you get to do some riding while in Colarado if not in August then maybe on a future trip. Be sure to let me know in advance and maybe we can all get together for some camping and riding. We just made reservations for our summer vacation at an RV campground near Lake City, CO which is just due south of Gunnison and Crested Butte. The campground is located on the "Alpine Loop" and you can ride right from camp onto the loop with no trailering needed. We'll be there from July 12th - 21st. I won't bore you with details of the "Loop", but you should google it and read up on it. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Jim

Pleasure, Rob! I'll look her up and try to get an appointment...have any idea what dental office she works out of? Should definately trip her out. Are you still in contact with her?

Crested Butte is a great place, although I haven't been there in years. What a great place to tie the knot. Congrats in advance, but I doubt "riding" ATV's may not be a first priority...Wink! But I hope both of you get to do some riding while in Colarado if not in August then maybe on a future trip. Be sure to let me know in advance and maybe we can all get together for some camping and riding. We just made reservations for our summer vacation at an RV campground near Lake City, CO which is just due south of Gunnison and Crested Butte. The campground is located on the "Alpine Loop" and you can ride right from camp onto the loop with no trailering needed. We'll be there from July 12th - 21st. I won't bore you with details of the "Loop", but you should google it and read up on it. It's absolutely gorgeous!

Jim

You will probably appreciate that I took my Trooper from the deserted mining towns east of Silverton, way up in the mountains, over to Lake City the very first day that the dozers had cleared the passes over the mountains in the spring of '97. Believe me, I know that area of our great country very well. I spent six weeks once just in that area of Colorado alone. I think my favorite area of all is south of Cottonwood pass west of Crested Butte and north of the Lake City to Silverton passes. Ansel Adams took a lot of pictures back in there around Lost Lake. That is truly God's country back there. I was a kid from the corn fields of western KY and really connected back there. I have years logged traversing that chunk of America. I wound up living in Flagstaff for seven years and spent a lot of time up in the mountains on the Navajo res around four corners also.

And yeah, Yvette and I have talked on Facebook some so she won't be too shocked I don't think. I have no clue if she's by herself or in with other dentists or not. Very cool girl though so no doubt she'll be happy to meet you.

Wow, Rob! I can and do appreciate your experiences with the Trooper in that part of CO. Sounds like you know that part of Colorado better than me and I have to agree with you, that part of the state is "God's country". We have yet to get into the Cottonwood Pass area. It's part of our plan for this summer. My problem is that last spring I upgrade my camper from a 23' pull behind to a 38' 5th wheel Toyhauler. I have found that I have to be real selective and pre-scout where I haul that beast. When the snow melts, we plan on going up there to reconointer for good spots to camp. I hope you get to reconnect with CO and introduce Amber to the area in the future

Jim

Um, yeah, that's a big load to pull around. I rely a lot on the rangers before I go places and honestly would just ask a Gunnison ranger if Cottonwood Pass has been graded. If it has, I don't see why you couldn't get your 5th wheel back in there. I don't recall any really sharp turns or steep grades.

You can go here and zoom in and out quickly to take a closer look at the road. I really don't see, if you're coming from the East, why you couldn't get pretty far back in there with your trailer. Use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm...8.7215196341&longitude=-107.265293934&zoom=10

Here is the place to check max trailer lengths for CO national forest campgrounds if you are going to stay in an actual campground:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/camping/campgroundlist/#gmug

I was just looking at the map myself and realized how awesome Taylor Park would be if you have a big toy hauler like you've got. I don't know if you've vacationed there or not, but that is also an amazing place (over the divide, west of Buena Vista). I could spend at least a week just in that one valley, and no telling how long if I had my ATV and a roof over my head. I'd probably just move the trailer every two weeks and never leave. :)

My Rig

LOL....I hear you about moving every two weeks but never leaving the area! My wife has a cousin who lives in Buena Vista and she is the one who recommended Cottonwood
as a great place to free camp & ATV. So, I guess there are places I can get my rig in. Most of our camping is usually done on the National Forest (no fees and plenty of peace and quiet). I have looked at Taylor Park and have to agree it does look like a great place to go in the future. The only time we go to a campground is during scheduled vacation time.....this year to Lake City (Castle Lakes Campground). The only thing I know about it is that it's on the Alpine loop and has a heavy population of Black Bears. As a matter of fact, my boss stayed there a couple of years ago and his brand new Titan pickup got maulled by a bear.

Thanks for the links, Rob

The Rig

Attachments

• sierra 008.jpg
    sierra 008.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back