My Corona Build 1988

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldskool83

Reaction score
Bought this 3 days before world got messed up. 1988 1 owner titled. Just wanted to add a slow quad to the fleet to ride with my daughter.

Fixed up frame, added some gussets & conversion peices to run a 2nd gen hood with 93+ round headlight assembly. More will follow. I only ride them if I build frame up. I run a machine shop so that means I build most of my parts vs buying.

Metallic purple powder coat to match my wifes 2015 honda ancher 420 irs 4x4 I built her.

Enjoy girl scouts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200507-203739_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200507-203739_Gallery.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 40
Nice start you have there I love the first gens and you definently know your stuff already proved me wrong once.... I was out dated apparently.... I look forward to flowing your build... also if you click the full image button well uploading. your pictures wont show up as thumbnails (small)Screenshot_20200508-023231_Chrome.jpg

Finally located a set of older works dual rate fronts and good oem rear for building. The works are banshee shocks and will be shortened for 87-88 warrior, revalved and resprung for my weight. The suspension builder I use is rather good & rather fair price wise also. This will be my 3rd set of built suspension.

Better to spend money on suspension rather then build a motor to try and go fast but ride ride a brick. If you have never road on true set up suspension I recommend anyone wasting money on a lour pipe or big pistion 1st to do suspension.

I will not be building this warrior motor. I did however rebuild it and bore cylinder to next over bore due to it was rather loose all over after 32years or no real services.

This machine just needs to go slow and ride smooth to ride my daughter.

Stay tuned girl scouts.IMG_4583.jpg

Heres some more I did tonight. Gutted the harness for all the dash lights since I didnt have any of that stuff. Took it all appart cleaned it and rewrapped it. At the ends I used a wire tie so the electrical tape does not lift up and get all nasty. Ive done this to all my harnesses since 2007 when I got th bright idea. Next is quick pins were cotter pins use to be. I hate the amount of time spend trying to get some rusted mangled over used twisted cotter pin out. Quick pins are actuly cheaper at the hardware store too! Just a few of my tips or trickes.

Enjoy until next time. 1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Rebuilt rear caliper tonight, only 2 seals were bad but I did all of them. I had a trx450r/er rear block off plate left over new from a part out so I bolted that on. I have not seen one machine that one of these didnt bolt on to. They all seem to be universally spaced the same.

Had some day light left as the kid played in driveway so I threw the stator assembly back together. The open style bearing had some hang up I didn't like so it was converted to a double sided shielded roller bearing. Yamaha was notorious for uses non sheilded bearings in areas that always caught water or dirt. Do no reuse the Philip's heads that hold cdi on. I have a jis Phillip's head which means Japanese industrial standard. All Philip's guys strip on toys due to using ansi Phillip's heads...which means anerican industrial standard institute. Jis has a different angled pitch so it wont round out however if you can replace with so thing else toy never have issues removing the screws.

Lesson over.

Cleaned up stator and inside, cleaned and re wrapped harness. Again used wire ties at the ends, yamaha bonded the rubber grommet in its hole and packed with butyl (which is like a rubberized formable material used to keep water out of areas in car industry)

I do no use cleaning chemicals to clean my parts, dawn dish soap then wd40 scrub, dawn wash again with hot water and dry.

Until next time girl scouts.
1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg

Man, shes looking good! .... so going white body, I these thing in white. New or old style hood ? They made a purple hood and tank cover I think it was 94 or 95

I was not able to find any oem goods so I bought a black maier one. It was a horrible fit. I made it work. I'd like to convert the front white fenders to black to mimick a 2002. I restored and shined up the badly faided oem rears. Wd40, scotch brite and heat gun bring back shine.

Last night I finished redoing one upper 88 a arm. It had perfect ball joints yet. I removed the ball joint rubber, gorilla taped it all off, sand blasted it then hit with flat black VHT paint. I've used that on oem a arms fir years if I wanted a better then factory finish. New bushings and spaces, gears up ball joint installed cleaned up rubbers and band clips. Pics later. I bought a OEM replica 2002 seat cover also. Was gonna do purple sides but I think too much purple will make me 1994/95 era and as much as I like those colors too much any bright color limits who I'd ever sell this to. So far men and women love the metallic purple in accent form. I'll grab pics of my wifes new rancher I built. The guys at my local Honda shop love it. One guys my neighbor. They had some customer ask for that color but said you have yo talk to Aaron he build a few wild things a year.

Next on my list is a blaster chassis that badly bent up mixed with 350x 250r and 300ex rear end. I'm looking to build a 250f trike out of my spares.

After that I'm after a kodiak 700 to build up more xc style for my main ride. I left a rincon 680 go cuz I really enjoy eps on 4x4s after buying the top if line rancher for my wife.

Then theres the fl350 4 stroke conversion buggy I wanna do. I dont like the size of new side x sides or their car price.

There's the dirtbike project again yzs only or crf alum frames.

I use to have 30 machines at my max. I'm only down to 1 for myself now, this warrior and it's no thriller. I left some go right now to change directions.

Building a set of rear rims next, fixed up oem fronts for coal country. Pics next week prob. Fridays are my days to build at work til rest of guys some in since I run the shop.

Top arms done until I build new ones. I'll ride it 1st to make sure I need them since I have 87 arms I'm having powder coated waiting for new ball joints. OEM might just be fine. I tend to over build.20200515_205846.jpg

Put in my rebuild crank last night and put a 1 side sheilded bearing in the counter shaft sprocket hole. Ended up leaving my cyclinder at KB5 Industries (shop I use for motor work like boring, porting or rebuild cranks)...decided to fly cut the cylinder base .010 to raise compression. I'm not a fan of high compression pistons due to the weight / stress they add to the rod bearings. It's honestly cheaper with better results to bump compression this way. Only did this since it's all appart. Will not be doing any porting or cam, i'd have to run across a crazy nice deal to go back into my rebuild head. Might blow the bottom end together over the weekend. A new clutch is soaking in oil to go in next. Have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Next i am going to cut up a set of roll design foot pegs.

I bought them when I had got a KFX450R in on a trade from my banshee (KFX was great light machine, reverse was odd, machine was too high strung for trail riding, seat was like a 2x4)

I took them off when I sold the machine to a friend, I cut them up for my wifes KFX700. I took them off when I sold the KFX700 machine for her rancher. I have a set on my blaster also (my raptor 660 ones bolted on) So i'd rather keep reusing cool high dollar old vintage parts then sell for a few bucks. Who does not like 3" wide foot pegs where your feet do not slip off. I might add a set of nerf bars. Not sure but once the machine is more together I can see what looks good.
11.jpeg 10.jpeg

Got bored and put the bottom end together. All new stainless hardware with anti seize on the threads. Ended up having a corona while dicking around in the garage. My idler gear had 2-3 teeth in bad shape. I think that explained all the tiny metal i saw all over the stator. Ordered a new one and hope to button up the clutch side tonight. The story of the build has been hurry up and wait. Tuesday my lazer cut rings will be welded in my rear rims. I got a new axle also since it was kinda worn past my liking. I'm kinda anal but creative. My cases had matching numbers on the halves...i think there was a recall at some point. Honda use to do the same thing. I didnt see anything out of the ordinay. I do not care about case paint.Resized_20200521_213748.jpeg

Got my seat back. I stopped recovering seats after finding a local upholstery shop at the end of my street. They cut out all the back foam, put new same density foam in, add a new layer of foam so the seat cover won' rip into the seat pan, add a thin water proof layer. $42. This is why i do not recover my own seats anymore. 3rd seat they have done for me and perfect.

Started on skid plate pattern, I can make my own laser cut out steel or alum cheaper then buying a new one cutting it up reinforcing it and only using half. I run sprocket guards so really only need a rotor guard side.

Laser cut rings for the rear wheels I had made last week. Tuesday they will get welded in.

Muffler ideas are rolling around in my head next. OEM head pipe is pretty large diameter as is. Looking to only save weight and get aluminum. KX450F mufflers are perfect for quad / trike conversions...free flowing an not overly loud, plus bolt together for repacking purposes.

OEM grab bar prob will get sold, might even grab an old school 87-88 DG style front bumper. Depends on my mood and where the build goes. This whole thing started with a new cam chain...now I'm here but it's ok, boredom and a wasted spring sped up a winter rebuild earlier.

Dug into front calipers, all works yet just were full of junk. Removed all seals and cleaned then put all back together. I use air hose to blow out the pistons...they go POP like a gun. If your machine is more then 5 years old I recommend you removed pistons and clean...Seals never really go bad...i'm anal but most yard riders done care.1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpeg

Front fenders will be changed out. Bad thing is now I cant seem to sell off my extra parts. In march they were leaving every week.

Here's my beefed up OEM headlight 93+ guard. I built a bolt on frame bracket for it incase one day I need to replace. My NOS 90s maier purple fronts cane tonight. Guess you can say they fit.....I'm sending them back and going run my OEM broken fronts. Nothing lined up with the maiers, Ive had maiers and they fit decent but that was the new shiny maier not the old 80's 90's dull hard plastic maiers. Either one one fender is deformed.1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg

I'll give details on items used from other machines for braking:

- Front Master cylinders I use TRX700xx ones. (they are always in great shape and are same part numeber as TRX450R but half the price due to popularity. Same as banshee rear master vs warrior...it's the same thing same part number but banshee costs way more lol) Stupid people.

- Rear carrier was modified to run TRX250R small rear rotor. To do this I turned down the old warrior rotor flange and cut a TRX250R bolt pattern flange and welded them together. I did this on my daughters blaster also. The rear caliper mount only needed to rotate forward a little and then welded in the new mount. Nothing hard at all.

- I had new TRX250R rear rotors in my loft left over from some builds. To mount the rotor I needed to use KDX200 rotor bolts with a shallow locating sholder on the bolt. Honda uses a very deep one and when I made that new conversion plate I didn't want to counter bore the hole then tap it. The plate would of needed to be even thicker yet. Tried to save some weight since the warrior is nothing short of over weight.

Normaly when building a toy I use whatever is left over from parting machines out. This warrior I tried to keep more true since not much was messed up at all.

Skid plate design was finished last night, drawn up this morning for laser cutting. Will need another plate welded together but for now one peice at a time since no rush to finish this. I tore a base gasket last night installing my top end...not sure how that happened. Hurry up and wait they say.

Put my delrin lower arm bushings in and turned sleeves to reuse. Delrin won't wear out here. New oem ball joints I was able to score at a very fair price. Normally don't reuse OEM arms but I have a full set I got fo free in a trade so I'll hoard them. Rims are welded. Should blow tires on next need.

Peace out girl scouts1.jpeg 3.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg

Arms on. Not sure if I'll mess with it tomorrow. Needed a few OEM parts which might show up in the next 2-3 weeks. Not having luck with my shock guy. Been a month no answers or call backs. Great service for the 4th set hed be doing for me. No shocks in 2 -3 weeks I'll buy elkas since this needed to roll weeks ago20200529_192148.jpg and take action against him unless hes dead from covid-19.

Redid calipers, took the 88 cast iron mounts I had and swamped them 87 aluminum mounts I had. Clear wire tied front fenders crack until i can find non cracked OEM fronts. My shocks are half done I was told. Need to work on my foot pegs and front rims next.1.jpeg 2.jpeg

About finished rear end. Notice how tiny m 250R rotor converion is. I need to laser cut rings for the front wheels yet and cuz the skid plate stuff.5.jpeg 4.jpeg 3.jpeg 2.jpeg 1.jpeg

Selected the new exhaust I will build. 2019 KX250F is a perfect match for the dimension i have between rear fenders and middle of grab bar. The rest is the easy part of welding tube to slip over OEM header.

Stay tuned girl scouts1.jpg

Shocks are in. About half price of new elkas. Thing should ride like a cloud. 3rd machine guy has done for me with no deposit. He shipped them to me before I even paid. No one trusts like that anymore. Started on muffler conversion, this one will be a breeze.

Later girl scouts FullSizeR.jpg

Got a good start the muffler conversion about done. Have to turn some aluminum spacers tomorrow after work...my conversion bracket is done. Went with a bracket rather then plasma cut the nice alum mount off the muffler to move it. Looks like I will eed to bend a 45 degree pipe peice unless an auto parts store has the correct diameter needed to weld in, the front is easy, neck the pipe down to the head pipe dia. Plate goes to powder coater tuesdayKX250F.jpeg along with a few last items.

Back