Missing spark after rewiring

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JorKsX

Reaction score
I have 350 raptor, or at least I think I have. Might also be trapper 350.
But every single part I've found and also whole wiring diagram is from yamaha raptor 350.

Anyway... The old owner removed all lights, kill switches etc...
I stated making new wires for it because the old wires were twisted together and lenghen 3 times each wire with wago connectors etc...
I made my own wiring harnes with main switch and kill switch.
I tested everything before final assembly, motor was running no problem.
Then I zip tied everything together, attached the switches.... and engine does not start. No spark.
I dissasembled everything again and made direct connections. battery positive straight to CDI red/black wire, according to wiring diagram it is battery positive that comes through main power switch and kill switch. so 12+ straight to CDI's red/back wire.
Black wire is battery negative, negative is also connected to ground.
Orange wire form CDI is "signal" for ignition coil.
4 wires coming from AC magneto are connected to CDI through the OEM connector and they are oem.

When trying to start the engine, there is no spark. Checked with different spark plugs.
I measured the coil and it seems fine. Also tried another similar coil and its same.

How can I measure the magneto and is it possible to measure CDI ?

I tried to measure the orange signal wire but either my fluke meter is too slow for it or there is no signal for the coil.

Am I missing something or did the CDI die suddenly?

Here is the wiring diagram I've used. every single wire and connector and colors are exactly same as on mine. But I dont have any yamaha logos or any other logos anywhere.
while doing image search for raptor 350 and trapper 350, it seems exactly like mine. I dont have many plastic parts left so hard to tell, but chassis, suspension, where legs are resting everything is as in yamaha.

chrome_Tahhmu7ftI.png

UPDATE
I found on this forum something how to measure stator.

"
To test the Source coil (for the ignition) connect your pocket tester from the white/green wire to the red wire. Resistance should be 270~330 ohms resistance.
To test the pickup coil, connect your tester from the blue to the yellow wire. Resistance should be 171~209 ohms resistance.
"

I dont have blue and yellow wires, but I have white/green and red. Measured between them and nothing.
Shows open circuit. My multimeter has automatic range so its not the issue.

//edit
white/green and red wires are not for the trigger coil.
There are 2 wires that are different. They have "special" sock over them and what I looked for new stator, the 2 special sock wires are for the trigger coil. and its reading 0.4ohms. (multimeter probes together it reads 0.1ohm)
So the trigger coil is shot?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Got any pics?:)

Welcome to the forum. Got any pics?:)

Havent taken any pictures of the wiring but here is the atv itself.
WhatsApp Image 2022-07-21 at 7.47.31 PM.jpeg

I dissasembled the stator and measured the trigger coil. seems fine, 227ohms. ( I measured wrong wires before)
But the coil source coil (not the 3 phase one) seemed burned. I rewinded it, assembled it and problem is exactly the same.
There is some little AC voltage coming from stator to CDI, but friend of mine said that its not possible to measure it without oscilloscope.
But CDI does not give any voltage to coil. I tried different coils also, still same problem.
So seems like the CDI is broken?

Wow! How strong and able is it?:)

Wow! How strong and able is it?:)

Strong enough for Finnish winter :)
Needs more support from front to back chassis. The force from snow is amazing. 1cm thick steel starts bending before the atv loses grip on back wheels.

But before I can use it in winter, I need to find the spark again :D

Strong enough for Finnish winter :)
Needs more support from front to back chassis. The force from snow is amazing. 1cm thick steel starts bending before the atv loses grip on back wheels.

But before I can use it in winter, I need to find the spark again :D
Amazing. Any other attachments?:D

Haha, of course.

Amazing. Any other attachments?:D

Haha, of course.

There is electric winch coming to back, also trailer hitch i've already welded.
For the front I have electric hydraulic cylinder that runs from 12v. I'm gonna attach it to the snowplough(?). At the moment I have to manually raise it when going reverse. WIth that cylinder I just press button, cylinder pulls and it raises up. Then press it again and goes down again.
Last winter I had not enough grip on the back wheels so I made DIY chains for back wheels. Also will be putting small screw ice nails to the front and back wheels.

There is electric winch coming to back, also trailer hitch i've already welded.
For the front I have electric hydraulic cylinder that runs from 12v. I'm gonna attach it to the snowplough(?). At the moment I have to manually raise it when going reverse. WIth that cylinder I just press button, cylinder pulls and it raises up. Then press it again and goes down again.
Last winter I had not enough grip on the back wheels so I made DIY chains for back wheels. Also will be putting small screw ice nails to the front and back wheels.
That's so impressive. Can you share pics when all attachments are installed?

That's so impressive. Can you share pics when all attachments are installed?
Will be doing it yes. But takes a while until I get it running again, then I start doing everything else :D
Pointless to do anything special if its not running :D

Will be doing it yes. But takes a while until I get it running again, then I start doing everything else :D
Pointless to do anything special if its not running :D
You're right, but I'm confident it runs in no time. Am I wrong? :D

You're right, but I'm confident it runs in no time. Am I wrong? :D
Maybe you are. The parts are expensive here in Finland and I cannot find used ones.
250€ for CDI. 300€ for stator.

• Wow
Reactions: YFM
Maybe you are. The parts are expensive here in Finland and I cannot find used ones.
250€ for CDI. 300€ for stator.
Sorry, have no idea. Does it make sense if you order online from other countries?

Sorry, have no idea. Does it make sense if you order online from other countries?
I tried looking, on ebay you can get cdi, stator, coil, regulator all for under 150€.
or about 40-50€ ea.
But I'm looking for used parts. or new locally. they are easier to return :)

But If I cannot find parts then I really have to look outside the country.

But I am still not sure is this trapper 350 or yamaha raptor 350.

Both seem same. trapper cdi looks same and raptor cdi looks the same.

But I am still not sure is this trapper 350 or yamaha raptor 350.
Is Trapper 350 not a Yamaha?
Can you post more pics, focusing on the engine, others might identify?

Finally.
Found the spark. fooking almost a month the parts came from USA.
bought new CDI and stator with pickupcoil etc...
Started right up.
The atv is Hsun Hs400
400cc. its Yamaha raptor copy.
I bought yamaha parts and they fit perfectly. Wiring diagram and everything for yamaha is same for this one.

Now I need to tune the carburator. for some reason its runs rough and coughs littlebit.
Tried to raise idle rpm's but if it coughs it almost dies. if engine dies then smoke comes out of airfilter.
I do not see any screw where to tune the carburator? There is only idle speed screw.
This same problem was before the spark problem.
Tried to lower the needle, tried to raise it. no effect.

That's good news. Can you source some parts locally now that you know it's Yamaha Raptor 400 copy? Hope the carb is just a minor issue.

That's good news. Can you source some parts locally now that you know it's Yamaha Raptor 400 copy? Hope the carb is just a minor issue.
What I know, then no one has anything like this. banshee and other china stuff is alot. but no yamahas or hsun's
Sure carburator is easy job to test from other.
But I got new jet's for the carb and cleaned it. now works perfect.
Now I need to find regulator somewhere then I get the charging system working again, then I can start building it for winter again

What I know, then no one has anything like this. banshee and other china stuff is alot. but no yamahas or hsun's
Sure carburator is easy job to test from other.
But I got new jet's for the carb and cleaned it. now works perfect.
Now I need to find regulator somewhere then I get the charging system working again, then I can start building it for winter again
I see. It's good the carb issue is solved. Good luck with the rest.

Back