Making plastic look new?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalk1818

Reaction score
My friends have told me that instead of spending money on new plastic that i should try to make it look new by sanding and then using steel wool and a polisher.

Does anyone know what i need for the whole process

I know prob dif grits of sand paper like 320 600 and 1200 maybe

then where and what type of steel wool

and then what kinda polish

also will it take the whit spots out ?

probably no for the white spots ive heard of this stuff that you spray on there and it takes the scratches out.. idk i use armourall on my plastics all the time after i wash it

I got some "Mothers" plastic polish that will take scratches out. But I doubt it wil take any white spots off of the plastics for you.

If by 'white spots' you mean stress marks, I have heard many people say careful use of a heat gun will work.

Have yet to try it myself, though.

yea i have heard a heat guh too lol OH you left HEAT out im sure the ole 12 guage will do wonders on the plastic LMAO......but have yall ever heard of sanding it and using scotch bright or steel wool?

i have white plastic so to get mud stains off that a sponge wont get i use an old kitchen sponge thats soft on one side and rough on the other. i forgot what their called but you know what im talkin about. it works good for me.

clean your plastic... and you can use lots of things...car wax, armor all, wd-40(altho it looks shitny dust ill stick to it easly

well i have tried using sandpaper 320 600 and 1500 and then using a torch to heat it and i have almost got rid of all my white spots and the torch brings the color back nicly.........

There is also a product called Plastic Renew that is supposed to be pretty good:

http://www.pcracingusa.com/plasticrenew.php

I tried that stuff on my honda recon because the plastics were scratched up and dull, but I didn't have much luck with it. It looked good for a while, but the finish you put on it is like a plastic clearcoat, and it peels and chips off when the plastic bends or gets rubbed hard. Eventually the plastic ended up looking worse than I started with, so I shelled out $280 for a set of new plastics

To remove white stress marks just use a heat gun on the spot, that'll blend the original color back in. Be careful not to hold it on there too long or the plastic will melt, but it is easy to tell when to pull the gun away.
To renew scratches just sand the plastic down to 2000 grit and then give it a buff, that'll make it look brand new. It works best with a small 3" DA. The plastic is very soft and sands very easily, it just takes a little time.

Latest posts

Back