Lightened Flywheel

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how are you getting this done? and arnt you going to be losing torque?

You shouldn't loose any torque. The engine should rev faster the power won't be a "smooth", so driveability at low speeds may go down. The main purpose of a flywheel is to smooth out the torque pulses from the power stroke making it more driveable.

All their going to do it throw it on a lathe and cut some meterail off, flywheels are forgings and cutting a forging reduces the strength and ridgitiy of the part. just to let you know

I work with and learn off of pro race bike/quad builders daily im pretty covered from mistakes (these guys are amazing) and as far as strength it wont be an issue at all the flywheel is pretty diesel and I have them watching my back. This mod will make the bike rev a **** load faster and be much much more snappy but as dave85 said it will reduce low speed driving (a price you have to pay **** it its worth it); the warrior flywheel is excessively butch anyway...

http://www.motormash.com

Yeah I agree with death. I just had that flywheel off and its a heavy son of a bitch. Its probably one of the reasons that the YFM350 is a good trail engine. Lots of smooth low end. I am sure you could take a ton off that OD without hurting anything. Heck you could probably face it a bit too. I don't know how much material you could take off before affecting the magneto though.

I work with and learn off of pro race bike/quad builders daily im pretty covered from mistakes (these guys are amazing) and as far as strength it wont be an issue at all the flywheel is pretty diesel and I have them watching my back. This mod will make the bike rev a **** load faster and be much much more snappy but as dave85 said it will reduce low speed driving (a price you have to pay **** it its worth it); the warrior flywheel is excessively butch anyway...

http://www.motormash.com
DEath ive always wanted to get this done, my dad turned me on to the idea when he started talking about his old race bike. He ahd to put a heavier flywheel on it to slow the revs for hillclimbs and make it smoother, as you can imagine you wouldnt want a super hard hitting powerband going strait up a 250 foot hill in under 5 seconds. He said it was so insanly sick with the lightened flywheel it was uncotrollable even in a strait line. Let me know how this works because if it works well then i might be getting this done, how much is it gonna cost you?

I think the way they do it is that they spin it on a balancing machine and drill holes in it man lol. Not put it on a lathe and take off on it. I believe they drill a hole, put it on the shaft and spin it and see where they have to drill a counter hole for the balanced weight. still the material coming out of the holes is weight, every hole thats like a gram more coming out LOL.

thats the way you "THINK" they do it...counterbalanced holes are a waste of time, if you spin it on a lathe you'll take the material off concentrically, no need to to figure out where to put more holes, It'll just end up looking like swiss cheese after anyway

thats the way you "THINK" they do it...counterbalanced holes are a waste of time, if you spin it on a lathe you'll take the material off concentrically, no need to to figure out where to put more holes, It'll just end up looking like swiss cheese after anyway

Yes correct it is done on a lathe.

Ya, im gettin it done for $35, i think im in love with my motor guy, lmao

Back