just baught a broken warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlc84cam350

Reaction score
okay here is the deal, just baught an 03 warrior i will be tearing the engine apart (this week end if i can find the time), it don't work. Starter turns and a clunking sound is comming from the engine at some point in the rotation. I baught this thing from a friend and one of the last times it was riden it had a top end claping sound comming, i am going to assume badly adjusted valves, apart from that i found the engine ran pretty great, no smoke no bottom end knock that i could hear. Maybe 2 rides later engine stoped working and he never fixed it up since last year, I had my z400 at the time and have sold it to help out with some bills. Now i picked up the warrior and basically 2 other parts bike (taken apart) for dirt cheap.

What do you guys think let go in her? My guess is either a bent/broken valve or broken/skipped tooth timing chain. I am not a pro mechanic but have taken a few top ends off of different bikes and done some carb work. IF i have to take the bottom end apart incase the crank is gone/connecting rod is gone is their any special tools i will need like a case splitter or flywheel puller? And also how could i tell if the crank bearing or connecting rod bearings are gone, i have 2 spare bottom ends, one of the the crank is definetly shot and the other has a very small play in the connecting rod bearing, is their supposed to be or should it be tight and not have any slack at all. Anyways any comments will help! thanks

Okay think i found the problem... It starts at the air filter and ends up in the cylinder head lol. The air filter was unproperly atached and air box was full of crap it most likely swallow dirt and didn't didgest it very well, the piston and cylinder head met in a small corner and it banged up the cylinder head and piston, the jug seems to be in ok shape. My questions are, can i rapaire the cylinder head and just dremel ou the the rough corner and replace the piston or is this a bad idea, the crank and connecting rods do not seem to have any slack what so ever i dont think i should Have to touch the bottom end. Also the valves were not set correctly but they are not cracked or chiped, they seem in good shape also i think when the guy last rebuilt it he broke a gaskewt and reused it cause it was cracked when i got to it. I, will try and post a picture of the cylinder head

I cant figure out how to post the pic but it is i. My profile albums if u want to take a look, the damage is at the top left corner

Last edited:
picture.php

Well its kind of a good thing the problem is in the top end. its easier to fix and cheaper. I'm not sure if the cylinder head is repairable or not but if all else fails, you can get a cylinder head pretty cheap off craigslist or eBay.

I can,t see why i couldnt repaire it the gouges are not deep and its not at an area where say the gasket would be sitting, just a bit of grinding with the dremel to bring it flat and my guess is it would be good to go UNLESS its going to screw up the combustion chamber that bad, or if i notice a crack somewhere. Any objections or reason why i should opp for another head?

I can,t see why i couldnt repaire it the gouges are not deep and its not at an area where say the gasket would be sitting, just a bit of grinding with the dremel to bring it flat and my guess is it would be good to go UNLESS its going to screw up the combustion chamber that bad, or if i notice a crack somewhere. Any objections or reason why i should opp for another head?

It all depends how much money you sink into her and if you want to risk losing it.. It dont look bad but Id bring it to a shop and have another opinion on it before i put it together..

Ill stop by the yamaha dealer later toget the cylinder bore measured cause im pretty sure its been overseized i will ask mechanics opinion at the same time. At the monMent only money in the engine i plan on puttting is the piston and 2 gaskets, what piston shout i be going for je, wisco, oem, cp? Also for yz shifter mod is their a year specific or anything goes, i do have oull start back up on it

Ill stop by the yamaha dealer later toget the cylinder bore measured cause im pretty sure its been overseized i will ask mechanics opinion at the same time. At the monMent only money in the engine i plan on puttting is the piston and 2 gaskets, what piston shout i be going for je, wisco, oem, cp? Also for yz shifter mod is their a year specific or anything goes, i do have oull start back up on it

I like wiseco some people prefer JE! Tusk makes a direct fit shifter for the warrior. Im not sure what the other guys are using you can get it on ebay less then 25$! Id just hate to see you work on it and put money in it and something with the head goes and we all told ya yea go ahead lol and we would be the idiots lmao!

Back