Jet size help. Detonating. glowing head pipe and back fire.

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fknboss

Reaction score
Im not the best with carbs. But i can rebuild them so I should say im ok but no good at tuning them. I bought this quad ran good had a top end noise. Ended up the race thats pressed on the cam for the inner bearing was gone and timing chain (tensioner side) guide was backwards. Got this all straitened put it all back together the the timing chain was way stretched. To it back apart new chain installed and back together. Not starts right up but is detonating and the head pipe is glowing red and back fires so im assuming lean and very. Timing is dead on.
Mods wiseco piston kn filter with holes in the lid and dg full krome exhaust.
Rechecked the valve lash its perfect all the fuel is new 93 octane plug looks fine burning wise its new but i wont let it run long enough. I had the carb set at 1 1/4 from lightly seated air fuel mix screw.

The noise sounds like a tinny like a socket tapping the head pipe. Its not constant its pretty spuratic and doesnt seem to do it with the choke on. It starts when you put it at half choke.

You need to turn that mixture screw out to 2.5 turns and see what it does before you get involved with jets and fetting.

Im gonna pull the needle to check what slot its in. Ive read stock should be in the middle.

Well the needle was at middle setting (3) i moved it to 4 to move the needle up no change. I just took a video going to post it see if anyone has any ideas.

man your timing is way off , late or retarded timing will pop and overheat exh, did this on purpose 1 time on a small block chev and dropped a exh manifold on the floor melted ..

The video wouldn't load for me. What size pilot jet is in there? If it is stock it is too small with the exhaust and modded a/b lid you have.

The video wouldn't load for me. What size pilot jet is in there? If it is stock it is too small with the exhaust and modded a/b lid you have.

I thinking the same thing. I think pilot jet is stock at 42.5 im going pick up a 45 and 150 main im waiting on gasket kit to pull it apart and find jet sizes that are in it.

You are going to want to see what size is in there already, and that way you know what to get. Also, get way more then just the next size.

The intake boot was dry rotted but covered it completely in silicone. I dont think its leaking even tho ots a temp fix

Guarantee it's the intake boot weather or not you covered it in silicone if its dry rotted it will leak.

20131112_093149.jpg

Back