is any 10w40 OK

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylonalsnifnfool

Reaction score
My project will be ready to ride in about a week and I was wondering what oil too use. I know it has to be 10w40 but must i use yamalube? My dealer told me if i use anything else my quad will explode and burst into flames and i will die............well not really but he said yamalube was my only option. So what can i do?

Amsoil is good stuff. Ive been using it for a little over a month now. Alot of others are using it as well and longer than I have. They'll agree with me that it's one of the best oils to use

Amsoil is good stuff. Ive been using it for a little over a month now. Alot of others are using it as well and longer than I have. They'll agree with me that it's one of the best oils to use

I run amsoil, its good ****, thats for sure. You can run it 3 or 4 times as long as normal oils too which is nice. Yamalube will do if thats all you have availible to you but its prolly not one of the best oils out there.

**** rocks ive had it in there for about 2 months and theres no signs of it breaking down ;D

how about valvoline? I can get unlimited quanitees of it at work for free so should i run it? How about some synthetic?

i run a full synthetic amsoil just make shure it is wet clutch compatible... i also run the 10-40w

Valvoline makes a oil just for four stroke quads, I wouldn't use any intended for a car though.

Valvoline makes a oil just for four stroke quads, I wouldn't use any intended for a car though.

What he said.... NO CAR motor oil - It has additives in it that are bad for your clutch/etc... I would use only 4-stroke motor oil intended for ATV/Motorcycle use; use regular oil if you are breaking the motor in and go to synthetic down the road.

Yea car oils are deffinitly not good, i was running valvoline maxlife when i did my rebuild because my valves neeeded new seals, and after running it for a while it messed up my clutch, even though there was some friction left on the plates they wouldnt grab for crap so i replaced them, and switched to amsoil.

i just got it together today and used the valvoline 4stroke oil. Can't wait till its broken in to see what shes got.

Car oils have detergents in them that make your wet clutch ****** slip right to **** but ive been running Cam 2 oil and it works ****** awsome its 10w40 eventually im gonna switch to full wet clutch synthetic though.

i use penzoil motorcycle oil and i think its 10w40. its a lot cheaper than yamalube, and i have no problem with it. later.

As long as that "energy conserving" **** is left off the A.P.I label you should be good to go.
10-40 for Diesel engines is the ticket, or "heavy duty" I use Shell Rottella 10w40 with no ill effect...its cheep.....I can find it in every hick town I come across...just find a gas station...viola!

You know the API label...its round, found on the back of the jug usually...it should have on the top that it meets certain standards(api requirments for a certain weight oil) and on the bottom it will say "Energy conserving" or a blank.

i've used car oil...it never affected me. i never noticed a difference...i use whatever oil i have lyin around...hahaha

Back