Inconsistent Spark, Don't know what to do next

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just as the title says, I have inconsistent spark. I have a 1987 warrior 350 and whenever I hold the start button, it'll spark once and then not spark again for another 10 or so revolutions. I've replaced the cdi, stator, ignition coil, spark plug, and also got a new key ignition switch from Caltric. Also the fuse near the starter relay is good. At this point I really have no idea where to turn. My only idea is a bad ground or bad wiring somewhere but everywhere looks fine except for 1 spot in particular. There's this small black wire here coming out at the back end that isn't connected to anything, as well as a bigger black wire connected to a ground pretty close to it. I've tried connecting these 2 wires together to see if that would help, but the spark didn't improve. Does anyone know any possible cause still? At this point, I'm think of replacing the wiring harness too1678596103949.png

Get a new key switch from Yamaha on the 87 it was different than the other years. They lump it in 87-95 but it was a one off piece.

The only key that works for the 87 is the oem 87 switch.

Alright just bought it off of partzilla. The yamaha parts website wanted me to spend $20 more on shipping. I'll give an update when it arrives and I install it

Get a new key switch from Yamaha on the 87 it was different than the other years. They lump it in 87-95 but it was a one off piece.
Check the fly wheel I had the same problem with mine Ii had changed fly wheel changed it back a wala

Getting an OEM key switch did the trick. The spark is perfect now. Unfortunately though there are other issues to attend to

Back