I messed up my carb?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey y’all. First post here.
I bought an 01 warrior. A pure nostalgia purchase. Got it cheap and knew it had problems. I put a new top end and new carb on it and changed the oil. It’s been running great.
I adjusted the valves for peace of mind and then test drove it. It was fine.
My son messed with the park brake linkage on the clutch perch and it wasn’t running good at all. I was not aware of how the park brake can limit rpm. So, before I figured that out, I tore the new carb down and cleaned it all out.
I installed everything and found the park brake not seated at the lever. After pushing it back in the thing ran great all afternoon. The next morning, my son said it wasn’t idling right.
I’ve been pulling the plug after every ride to inspect for good mixture and it’s been a whitish faint tan color. Now it’s black as can be. It’s idling very poor, can smell fuel in the exhaust. Just off idle it sputters and sounds wet but it runs pretty good through the mid range and top end.
When the carb was apart I had a hell of a time with the pilot jet. I ended up having to install another stock size jet from my tusk kit. Perhaps I messed up the float height? Im not a gas engine guy really. I’ve been in the diesel world the past 15 years. Any in sight is appreciated.

I tore it down tonight. But before I took the carb off, while I still had the fuel tank in place, I set up a spot light to see down the throat and started it up. (Another thing, it’s harder starting since this started. It would fire off instantly before) I could see fuel coming up around the needle while at idle. Is that normal? Shouldn’t that needle be in the seat until the slide pulls in it?
Just off idle, is still boggy. At higher rpm it seems ok but if you really rev it and let off it will die. It never did that before either. It’s about 5-6 seconds of cranking to restart.
I also noticed that the little jet that sticks up right at the inlet, it squirts directly at the point where the needle enters the seat. Is that normal?
thanks for any help

I cleaned it out and put it back together. Same rich idle condition. I will replace the plug and if it ain’t no better I’m just gonna buy a different carb I guess.

I warmed it up and took it out for a rip. Runs pretty good. Still a little loaded up at idle. Seems to be ok but not perfect.

Still not content with it. I’ve now put an entire carb rebuild kit in piece by piece. No change. I guess I’ll revisit my timing and valve lash.
Seems to crank for 5 seconds or so on first start. Used to be less than a second. If I touch the choke even the smallest bit, it will stall. Also, spraying starting fluid anywhere near the airstream will kill it. Can see smoke out the exhaust but smells like fuel not any oil smell.
Maybe the timing chain tensioner is not holding?
It was running near perfect then I adjusted the valves, got lost in the park brake crap for a minute and meanwhile took the carb off and cleaned it out. once I found out about the park brake, it ran great again for 20 minutes or so, then started doing this rich idle crap. I’ve since had the carb off 4 times and have had the bowl off the carb while on the bike 3 times. If the timing check, valve clearance check, and a new spark plug don’t do it then a new carb it is.
The worst thing is that my boy was riding it when it started acting this way. He could have been really revving on it or something and caused this. I didn’t witness what happened but I know I heard him rippin for a little bit before he called me and said it ain’t right.

Last edited:
Back