How to Replace 1987 Warrior CDI with 1990-1995 CDI System

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrondoctor

Reaction score
Hi All;
I bought my 1987 Warrior new when it came out. In 2017, the CDI blew up for second time around, and I decided no way that I needed to pay for another one of those crap boxes! I am an electronics engineer, and part time tinkerer of mechanical toys. So, studied all the parts manuals and diagrams for the CDI systems in model years from 1987 up to 1995, and concluded using the 1990 - 1995 CDI was quite doable. It requires obtaining the 1990 - 1995 CDI box, stator (magneto), flywheel, and ignition switch. Their exact part numbers are on the attachments. There are some cuts and splices required to the original 1987 wire harness, but not much, and it certainly runs just beautiful when all done. All functions work as they were originally intended. For the exact details, I am attaching two sheets with my hand written modification notes for how it is done. You will need the old 1987 CDI module so you can cut off one of it's connectors in order to mate up with one of the connectors on the new CDI module. Please read both pages carefully, and ask a bike electrical tech for more help with the notes if you aren't following. Also, I did some headlight mods to add LED driving lamps, combined with a 100 watt landing light for high beam, so that is shown on my diagram.

Attachments

• 1987 Harness with 1990 CDI Upgrade.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 1987 Schematic with 1990 CDI Upgrade.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
That is very impressive good job. Also thank you for putting up your diagrams I`ve been trying to figure out how to get 3 lights to work like that for high and low beams from the factory switch. It didn`t dawn on me to use the taillight output for the low beam. Thanks

Thanks electrondoctor for this post! I don't think I would have thought of this otherwise.
I picked up a cheap and complete '87 with a bad CDI recently, and after seeing this thread (and the prices of the CDI), I got a used flywheel and a chinese CDI from eBay and got to work. Followed the above diagrams and completed connections with solder and marine heat shrink.
What I did differently on mine was I reused the original stator. For anyone else trying to save one of these:
*Eliminate the pickup coil with the green/yellow wire and bring the inner pickup coil (blue/yellow) to the outer flywheel position so it will "pickup" on the newer flywheels timing mark.
*On the harness end of the stator, cut the bullet connectors off the 2 wires by themselves (green/red)
*Steal a female pin off of the original CDI from one of the two left over connectors still on it , install it in to the empty pin with the blank that will match up to the gray wire on the quads harness.
* Connect the red wire that had the bullet connector on it to the wire with the female pin that just got installed
* Cut the green wire(old pickup) and hook it to the green wire that had the bullet connector on it
Plug the stator back in and you should have a running Warrior!
Hi All;
I bought my 1987 Warrior new when it came out. In 2017, the CDI blew up for second time around, and I decided no way that I needed to pay for another one of those crap boxes! I am an electronics engineer, and part time tinkerer of mechanical toys. So, studied all the parts manuals and diagrams for the CDI systems in model years from 1987 up to 1995, and concluded using the 1990 - 1995 CDI was quite doable. It requires obtaining the 1990 - 1995 CDI box, stator (magneto), flywheel, and ignition switch. Their exact part numbers are on the attachments. There are some cuts and splices required to the original 1987 wire harness, but not much, and it certainly runs just beautiful when all done. All functions work as they were originally intended. For the exact details, I am attaching two sheets with my hand written modification notes for how it is done. You will need the old 1987 CDI module so you can cut off one of it's connectors in order to mate up with one of the connectors on the new CDI module. Please read both pages carefully, and ask a bike electrical tech for more help with the notes if you aren't following. Also, I did some headlight mods to add LED driving lamps, combined with a 100 watt landing light for high beam, so that is shown on my diagram.

Back