HELP! Starter Clutch

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyde78

Reaction score
I've hit a wall after removing the flywheel today to change my starter clutch. I can't get the bolts out of the flywheel to get the bearing off.

Last edited:
Its the Six hex bolts I cant get off. I'm trying by hand. Has anyone tried to get them out by hand? Or do I need impact gun? I don't have an impact gun or compressor so I'm going to bring it to my local auto mechanic to see if he can. But an impact gun can crack the flywheel I was told by my pops. Is it the loctite that's on the bolts that I cant hand ratchet them out? Should I try heating the bolts with a heat gun(don't own one but I'll buy one..just 22$ at home depot) and then ratcheting them out? I also see the bottom of bolts are calked w a punch. Is that the problem?...Stuck here

impact and you may have to drill out the backs cause they are mushroomed so they don't back out

Your gonna be pissed when the oneway doesnt fix your issue

Haha how do you know that!? I've been thinking it too...that's why I laugh. But when i try to fire her up it wants to kick over but clunks and you can see the flywheel bolt kick backwards (with the Yamaha cover off you can see ) when it does that and you hear a winding sound. I have checked everything and its all within specs. Good spark. Even changed CDI box. Had Carb cleaned by my mechanic and put new stock jets in. I figure its gotta be starter clutch. So I'm changing. But deep down I feel like my issue won't be resolved. But alas I must try. Its the next option here in diagnosing my no start problem. But it will tow start

Because 80/90% of the dozen warriors ive flipped are stator issues. The Raptor I have now prev owner bought 3 ebay stators all checked in spec. I bought a Rmstator one and fired right up.

the threaded end they took a punch to at factory to prevent them from backing out along with loc tight

the threaded end they took a punch to at factory to prevent them from backing out along with loc tight

Ok i get that they did that. So just using an impact screwdriver won't get them out alone then? Still kinda confused about drilling out the backs. Thanks so much for your help so far

OK thanks a lot man. Ill bring it to a mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully they come out.

HELP! OK the mechanic got the hex bolts out. I changed starter clutch gear. I checked it with the new idle gear. It will only spin one way. Put the ring gear on the crankshaft; then idle gear; next woodruff key. I aligned the flywheel/starter clutch with the key and inserted the idle gear boss into the gear. Everything tight. Starter motor gears all aligned. After I put the case back together and filled with oil I tried to start. The starter motor engages and when it tried to fire or was just a loud CLUNK! I took it apart again and checked everything. All my work was by the book. Reassembled and the sane problem. A loud clunk after starter motor engages. Bike has great spark. What did I do wrong? Did I **** the bike up somehow by trying to change the starter clutch!? Did I ruin a piston somehow? Bike hasn't started with new starter clutch in yet. (Obviously I cant start it). Did I bend the crankshaft using the Yamaha flywheel puller? The flywheel was on there very good and it took a lot of force to bust it off. Did I get bad parts? I'm so confused as to what I did. Please help! m sick to my stomach that I destroyed my bike trying to change a simple starter clutch.

Take your starter off and make sure crank turns by hand

Yea if you mean take the starter gears out and turn the idle gear behind the flywheel by hand; then yes it turns by hand. But it doesn't spin freely. Its tight. I can move it but it doesn't spin.... if you mean take the starter gear out and turn the crankshaft with the 17mm bolt on by hand ratchet i didnt try that. I took the yamaha cover off to watch the crankshaft bolt while i tried to start her and it spins round before making the clunk. If i keep hitting start button it does same thing. Starter motor engages; crankshaft spins; then CLUNK. I was a cheap bastard and bought the aftermarket clutch kit on eBay for 130$. Could the parts be garbage? I'll take that over a bent crankshaft or damaged piston. Can you do serious damage trying to change a starter clutch. I'm just so upset. I feel like a did damage to my bike trying to do a simple job. Very depressing.

No take the starter itself off. It maybe locked up. And this way you can eliminate the starter and make sure crank turns by hand

OK. But Doesn't removing the starter gear pretty much eliminate the starter from the crankshaft? With out that gear the starter motor is just sitting there by itself. I'm sorry I'm such a noob. I really do appreciate all your help.

OK Im gonna take out starter motor tomorrow and see whats up. But the crankshaft spins around a few times before the clunk. I'll do as you say. I try anything. Thanks again. I'll test starter motor after I remove it too.

Haha how do you know that!? I've been thinking it too...that's why I laugh. But when i try to fire her up it wants to kick over but clunks and you can see the flywheel bolt kick backwards (with the Yamaha cover off you can see ) when it does that and you hear a winding sound. I have checked everything and its all within specs. Good spark. Even changed CDI box. Had Carb cleaned by my mechanic and put new stock jets in. I figure its gotta be starter clutch. So I'm changing. But deep down I feel like my issue won't be resolved. But alas I must try. Its the next option here in diagnosing my no start problem. But it will tow start

When you say "But it will tow start" does the engine run with no clunking?

Back