Got my first android smart phone

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtrider73068

Reaction score
All I can say what a pain in the ass it is learning how to use it. No user manual for the phone can be got from the carrier website, found a user manual for android its about 336 pages long. Took about 3-4 days to get use to it, apps are neat got angry birds right off the bat.

Here is something I want to know, has anybody heard of or done rotting there android system? If so how easy was it, what are the real benefits? I have hacked my wii so is this something I could do my self or just pay somebody that knows how. I have a person now for 10 bucks will root it. If you have rooted does it work like it says, run faster longer battery life, one thing I want is louder volume in the headphone factory isn't loud enough.

ive never heard of rooting, ive done the same thing to my wii where you install the homebrew channel and such for whatever, is this rooting like jailbreaking an iphone/ipod touch, if it is anything like the wii or iphone deal, then theres probably 1000 tutorials on youtube for it

Yea rooting is like jailbreaking a Iphone, what you do is from I found on google is you back your data on the phone, load a file and then tell it to root, then what it does is flash the phones system from factory kinda like the wii loads a xploit and crashes it so it will load this program to run a custom rom, than after that you can pretty much have run of the phones operating system, change the cpu speed change settings, delete preloaded bulk apps. Its pretty cool but riskes are involved much like the wii you can brick it if you don't do it right or something happens. Youtube am sure has stuff but like anything else somebody on youtube can be telling you to do it, but in the end to be ass can make you brick it. Why on my wii I don't have the apps to play burned games as these IOS's can cause bricks.

Look on google for rooting a android phone its pretty neat but trying understand much like the wii is hard.

It really doesn't do enough for the average user to make it worth the risk. One thing that's a problem is it will prevent you from getting updates to the phone's firmware and operating system. Also, it will void any warranty you have, and if the phone is recalled for any reason, you're stuck with it, as you modified it. As far as making the phone faster, letting you change cpu speed, and things of that nature, I really don't see the point. Rooting in itself won't make the phone any faster, and changing the CPU speed is pointless because if you overclock it you fry it while killing your battery life and making it unstable, underclock it and all you've done is make it slower, as all android phones have the ability to automatically step down the cpu clock speed when it's not needed. My intercept has an 800 mhz cpu, but most of the time it's at 66mhz which is as low as you'll ever get it without having crashes and freeze-ups. So my opinion, leave it alone.

Wouldn't overclock alot just a tad, will rooting make it open apps faster? I tried a couple of the volume booster apps but it didn't do anything to help increase the volume. I know it will void the warranty I pretty much bought the phone outright its on a prepaid plan. Also know you can't updates if you do it removes the rooting and puts it back to factory.

But it would be neat to get paid apps for free, but found those free apps have ads on them that pop up which annoying and seems like they take data of course to send them and run them in the apps.

Rooting has nothing to do with getting paid apps for free, trust me. That may work with the iphone but not android. Ive had my original Droid rooted for about a year now. For me it works, especially since my phone will no longer get updates. Funny thing is im running an operating system of android that my phone will officially never see threw Verizon. If I were you though Id run it as is for awhile to make sure the phone has no issues. By the way which phone did you get.

I got the tmobile comet or other wise the huewaii ideos I think it is. I wanted the lg optimus t but in refub condition they didn't have one and said the comet is a good beginner smart phone, has been a bitch to learn with a user manual but getting the hang of it now, gotta figure out how to get ringtones on it once I get my music editor program re installed.

And kinda what I am thinking make sure phone doesn't give me **** so I can get it fixed before I root it, if its even worth it.

Did you root your own 98?

Ya I rooted my own, but when I did mine a guy on a forum for Android I was on wrote a program that did all the steps by itself. I was a ginny pig for it will he was testing. For the ringtones, some phones it will do automatically. If it doesnt do it, itself you can download a file manager and copy them to your ringtone folder.

How hard was it or was it pretty straight forward? Google says that it depends what phone as to what file and how its done, but one vid I found a guy says go to a site get this file on the phone, open that app click root let it do its thing, but didn't say what to with it after or what it will do. One main thing I want is the volume louder in the headphones, at work it can be loud mowers and such and in my truck the head unit has a aux and my old phone that I used as a mp3 was louder volume output.

Ya it wasnt that bad and it does depend on the phone. On your volume its hard to tell if it will get louder. What is the app that the vid says to use?

z4something or other don't remember what it was I might be able to find it again, I have thought about finding a older cheap android phone and trying it on that one to see how it does and what it does then go from there. From what I have googled nothing comes up about rooting a comet it pulls up all kinds of stuff on rooting other phones most popular is htc's and G1 or something like those.

z4root, Ive got a copy of it on my computer. At last check they pulled it from the Android market. Ill do some checking and see if I can find anything out about the Comet.

Z4root thats the one, I am looking on the android forums now and haven't seen much. The comet is also known as the Huawei U8150 Ideos, there was a link to xda devlopers on rooting the comet but its was in code and was all greek to me.

when i had my droid the first thing i did was root it :). it was badass, ran like a champ, super fast. had free wifi thetherng to. the nice thing about rooting the droid is you can brick it, but you can restore it to if you do happen to brick it :) happened to me

But from what I have read rooting all depends on the phone you have, you just can't go in root and be good to go.

Back