Finished for the Year

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
I had a mishap yesterday that will leave me unable to ride for a while. I flipped on a hill that I've been up countless times and the four wheeler came down hard on me. The handle bar came under my helmet and gashed my chin pretty good (3 inner stitches and 13 outer ones). That didn't even hurt though. What hurt was landing on a rock about the size of a volleyball with half of it buried and the other half buried in my back...lol
It left me with three cracked vertebrae in my lower back.

My little rappy is more fortunate though. It tore the grab bar off on one side and the brake and clutch levers are bent but I can take a pipe and straighten them out. I'll get pics up later. It hurts so bad to move that I'm not going to go out there right now...lol.

Ya'll, if you'll take to a Dummy's advice, get and wear a kidney belt and chest protector. A chest/back protector would have saved me a lot of hastle. I think I was getting them for Christmas...lol

Worst thing of all is that my insurance won't cover the accident. That really sux!

Dude, that sucks!

Take it from someone who's been dealing with the results of a back injury for the last 15+ years:

Take your therapy very seriously. When the time comes, be diligent. Follow your Docs advice to the 'T'.

I had several injuries when I was younger and becasue I was feeling pretty good at the time, did not follow directions for excercises, etc and it just prolonged recovery and things have not healed as they should have.

Take it easy, and get well soon.

:)

Thanks. I'll follow his orders. Can't wait to hit that hill again. You wouldn't believe how tempting it was to turn around and go back up it then. I couldn't have though...lol. I don't have any pics of the hill, but it is a fun one. If I'd been by myself (I never ride alone though), I would have had to wait for someone to turn my quad back upright. It was the first day I'd rode in a couple of months, and it was great fun until then...lol

I stayed conscious except for passing out after waiting at the hospital for about five hours.

That Does Suck, Im am also done for the winter because I hate to ride when it is so freakin cold. So im done untill the weather gets warmer...

Get Well Soon :)

Yeah boots, chest protector, goggles (if riding in packs), and a helmet are all a MUST for any aggressive riding. I am glad you weren’t more seriously injured, get well soon.

Yeah man, sorry to hear about this. Why won't your insurance cover this?

Always wear the boots and chest protector, they'll save your ass!!! Get well soon and tell your insurance company to go **** themselves!!!

Insurance won't cover any off road accident. It's the worst insurance I've ever had.

I got boots as soon as I got the rappy. The chest/back protector was something I'd been trying to get but stuff always came up. It's my fault for not getting it though.

Oh well. I'll be riding again before long.

Thanks for the well wishes ya'll.

Insurance won't cover any off road accident. It's the worst insurance I've ever had....

WTF?!
Where else would they expect an ATV to have an accident? It's not like they're street legal!

I hate insurance companies....

That sucks kreed. I would have come up with some other reason for the injuries ;D

What about workers comp. or anything like that. I don't know what you do for a living but by the way your back sounds I doubt you'll be working?

Get well soon.

Definitely won't be working for a while. The insurance will not pay on any off road vehicle accidents. It's just a clause that they have in the policy.

I could have lied, but I won't. When I called my supervisor he suggested the same thing. Other people have done that in the past and gotten away with it. I don't like liars and refuse to be one. But on a matter like this, I wouldn't blame anyone for doing it. I just can't do it though.

Yeah, when it comes down too it I doubt I would think of another story for the accident.

I doubt you would too. But like I said, I can understand why some people do. You pay every week for insurance, then get hurt and you're on your own.

Id lie in this case; you deserve some money to help you along after all the money you have given them... The Insurance companies have it coming to them, they take your money and when it comes time to give some back it’s a huge hassle or they don’t.

Thats why I wouldn't blame anyone for doing it, but I can't. I've already told the hospital and my supervisor anyway so there is no undoing it now. I wouldn't if I could...lol

I'll just have to keep working over time when I can finally go back to work.

What it really all comes down to is how much money you have. If you dont have the money to pay for the injurys you make up a story but if u think u can handle it and not go into any sort of debt you think twice about lieing.

lol...I'll definitely be in debt. I just got caught up on my bills last week. I don't mean out of debt, just caught up on payments that I had gotten behind on earlier in the year when my kids and wife had doctor bills. It'll work out though. Just gotta keep with the overtime and doing the best we can.

srry to hear that dude i hope you have a fast recovery so you can take your son out riding and hit that damn hill agian.

Thanks Man, but I won't take my son there until he is grown or close to it. Narrow, two-way trails make it quite dangerous. That will be the first hill I hit when I get to ride again. I was thinking about hitting it as I rode down, but my back was telling me "NO!"...lol

I finally got a few pics so here ya go:
HPIM0614a.jpg

HPIM0613.jpg

HPIM0614.jpg

HPIM0616.jpg

HPIM0615.jpg

The only thing actually hurt on my rappy is the clutch lever, holes where the bolts were pulled through the plastic, and the broken bolts on the grab bar. Talk about lucky!

To beat it all, after it bounced off my chest and head the rappy ended up on it's side at my left foot, STILL RUNNING! I thought to myself "that's one heck of a machine"...lol

My little bro is supposed to come unload it for me after while. Maybe one day this week I'll be able to clean it up some. I have to go to a neurosurgeon thursday so maybe he'll have something good to say.

Back