extending swingarm help

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLYamWar

Reaction score
If I extend the swingarm from stock on warrior, which would you guys recommend? +2 or +4. And would I need to have a longer wishbone/linkage. What else do I need to know when extending to a longer swingarm? Longer chain obviously but how much longer?:thanks::thanks: I just purchased the '01 Raptor 660 rear shock too. Thanks for the help!

The 87 swingarm is 1in longer then the newer ones. I measured it and compared it to a 99, the 87's is longer after all of the shock linkage. If your trying to make a longer one i would keep all the same mounting locations for the shock linkage and extend after them so you keep all the same shock and linkage geometry.

You could find a 1st gen swingarm for cheap on ebay, i got a new(used) one for $20 (mine was cracked and bent). I prefer the 87's over the 99, Im running the 99 right now and in the whoops it doesnt handle aswell it did with the 87's on.

If I extend the swingarm from stock on warrior, which would you guys recommend? +2 or +4. And would I need to have a longer wishbone/linkage. What else do I need to know when extending to a longer swingarm? Longer chain obviously but how much longer?:thanks::thanks: I just purchased the '01 Raptor 660 rear shock too. Thanks for the help!

For every inch longer on your swing arm add 2 links.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9310 using Tapatalk

Do you need to do anything else before putting the 87 swinger on or does everything from a 99 bolt right up?

My swinger is a +4 (actually +3 on my 1st gen), from the SwingarmShop, and it has been a great piece. But, if you are tippy in the turns, you need width, not length. +2 a arms, some nice shocks, and extended rear axle hubs will get you what you want. If your budget is REALLY tight, you can flip the front rims ( have to drill new valve stem hole) and can flip the rear rims. You don't much more width out of the rears when flipping them. That's why I recommend the Tusk extended rear wheel hubs. They give 3.5" over stock, and are usually around $85 on ebay, new. If money isn't an issue, +2 FullFlight arms, Works AT steelers or YFZ stockers, Tusk +2+4 axle.

It wont help the quad be tippy in the turns but it will keep the front end planted and take some grip off the back tires if you ever have those issues.

That's right I don't know what I was thinking lol. It does seem like the rear wheels are more forward now that I installed the 660 raptor shock. Almost looks like a Smart car. I figure if I extend the swingarm it would look more uniform. Thanks for all the ideas Guys!

With the 660 shock the rear wheels look closer b/c they are, essentially you've added height to the tail with the longer shock and it puts the swingarm in a different angle thus pulling the rear wheels fwd. The only way to get the rear ride height correct with a 660 shock is with an adjustable rear link. I used one for a 660/700 and cut and adjusted till correct. The rear shock on a 660 is one inch longer, the stock Warrior link is 4.5" center-center. My perfect rear height came when I got my link to 5.5" Yours might vary b/c I based mine on front height as well and my bike is a Lil lower with the long travel setup.

Latest posts

Back