Electrical Nightmare help please

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeStar85

Reaction score
I have an 87 Warrior that i am currently trying to piece the electrical system back together. It was stolen then recovered in pieces years ago and none of the electrical system came with it. I am aware that the wiring harness, cdi box and i think the stator are different for every year (which i don't understand why the hell they did that). I have a couple cdi boxes, a couple wiring harnesses but not sure if they are correct. A while back my buddy and got the the motor to crank over by shorting out the starter relay but did not get any spark.

do you know what the correct parts are for this year?
Any tips or ideas are appreciated

I know this might be kinda vague but any help is welcome

thanks
joe

i have most of the parts you off of one of my 87's the only thing i dont have is the cdi and this might help you out

harness.png

The easiest way to tell what harnesses you have is the stator plugs. There are 4 different harnesses, Yamaha more than likely changed it to try to cure something. If you have the patience we can help you get this figured out. You can look on www.rmstator.com for pics of the stator plugs, or if someone happens to have a pic of the 4 different ones.

the 87 stator has
1)4 wire plug with blue, green,yellow, and gray
1)3 wire plug all white

a red wire and a white and green wire

the 88-89 is the same but the 4 wire plug was change and only has 3 wires going to it yellow, green and blue

images.jpg

A is 87
B is 88-89
C is 90-95
D is 96-01 not about 02-04

i have both 87 and 88-89 harnesses in front of me right now

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the quick response Bones. I am sure i can use the parts you have for this bike. My first problem i need to solve is, if any of the parts i have now are correct for this bike. I have 4 rectifiers, 2 stators, 3 cdi boxes and 3 wiring harnesses! Is there anyway to tell which ones are correct for this year? I see that the plug ends are different between each set.

ha...i didn't see your next post until after i replied last time

this all off the 87 harness
rectifier is a 6 point plug and wire colored (going clockwise) brown, black, red ,white ,white, and white

cdi has 3 plugs and 2 wire with female ends ...
1st one is a 4 pin plug gray,yellow,green, and blue
2nd one is a 3 pin female plug with black/white , black/red, and black
3rd one is a 3 pin male plug with white/black , black/white , and yellow/black
brown wire female end
red wire female end
(note this the harness side switch male/female on the cdi its self)

if you could get pick of what you have that would really happy

Oops my bad. I was looking at the harness side. the stator in the motor now is an 87 stator. The wiring harness that is on the bike now is not the right one. and i beleive i found the correct harness for it now

the only difference from the 88-89 stator and the 87 stator is that they cut the gray and wired it in to the yellow wire on the 88-89

All the rectifiers are the same and they line up with the 87 harness. Don't have the cdi box though. that blows!

what cdi do you have ?? if you have the 88-89 (will have the same plugs as the 87 but no gray wire on the 4 pin plug )and harness you can make the 87 stator work on the harness just by wiring the gray wire into the yellow wire before the harness

sorry the 88-89 cdi 3 plug and 2 wires

1st 4pin female yellow, green, blue
2nd 3 male yellow/black , white/black , black/white
3rd 4 pin male black/white , green/white , black and brown
then the 2 wires are red and white/green with female ends

(remember im look at the harness)

i think i have an 88-89 cdi...it has three plugs. 1 plug is blue yellow green. next plug is yellow/black, white/black, black/yellow. next plug is black, green/white, brown, blue/white. then is has three seperat wires....a red a white/green and a orange

yep thats an 88-89 i have an 88-89 harness and cdi on mine with 87 stator i just cut the gray and wired it into the yellow on the stator cuz both the 88 and 87 have 2 pulse coils but the 88 only uses the yellow to get the pulse coil signal to the cdi

Last edited:
so i can just splice the gray wire into the yellow wire on the harness and it will work with no other modifications?

No on the stator before the harness as there is no gray wire on the harness at the stator plug

damn...you reply faster than i can ask my next question! lol thanks

Back