Electric start button works headlights dont

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshmnyslda88

Reaction score
I have a 98' and I recently bought it and it did not have the headlights installed when I got it, so I tried to hook them up and nothing happens. I did some research on here and couldn't find exactly this situation. So, the start button works great, fires right up, but the headlight will not come on when the switch is flipped. If anyone can help, that would be extremely wonderful. Thank you have a great day.

Are you sure the bulbs aren't blown?
check with a volt meter that when you turn the switch on there is power at the plugs where the lights plug into the harness

If you don't have a volt/mutlimemter, use a test light to make sure you have power and ground at the headlight connectors.

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes I checked the headlights on by connecting them directly to a battery. I checked the light wires with a multimeter. I put the black tester on the negative on the battery and the red tester on the green and yellow connector. Is that the way you test it? If so, then it did not register anything on the multimeter. Thank you again.

That is one way you can hook up the multimeter. I see we have another Virginia member on here. And close to me. Bout ****** time!

Hell yeah..VA..Happy New Year! So do you have any idea of what could be wrong? I just took the switch apart and cleaned it and still no headlight juice.

Well don't go cheering just yet. I'm a damn yankee! Lol. I'd start by looking over all the connections for corrosion, or rust. Look for broken or frayed wires. Could be something as simple as that.

lol yea but you are where it is good now so your good...ok I took my switch apart again and now the headlights work!! yay...BUT the switch is going crazy, the lights would stay on all the time no matter what position the switch was in, with the on/0ff switch on and off, and then i moved the switch on the bar and the light would cut off when the switch was in the high beam position...now its just on all the time....?????

Sounds like if all the connectors in the switch body are in their proper place, and everything else looks good. I would say to replace the multifunction switch. Which is the headlight switch you are talking about.

Latest posts

Back