Do You Have A Chest Protector?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreed5821

Reaction score
Since my recent injury, I'm just curious of how many people wear them. My little bro has one but I've only seen him wear it a couple of times.

I'll have one before I ride again, and will wear it EVERY RIDE. Of course, I don't know when that'll be...lol But feel sure that if I had been wearing one saturday, I'd still be able to ride now.

If you like to eat the bars then its an awsome thing but it can be kind of annoying at times.

i wear mine all the time, its not fun to always get bruises on your chest from landing on the bars, and i do once everytime i go riding usually, just something to keep yourself a little safer i guess

I've got Tech 8 boots. I love em. You won't regret getting boots. I wish I had checked into 'Four' boots. They're a lot cheaper than Alpine Stars and made with ATV rider's in mind.

yea i havent ridden in a year or two but it would have been nice to have cause i always hit my chest and color bone on my bars, then i usually end up on the ground, i hate caseing jumps

I know the feeling. Dennis Kirk has some on clearance now for $75. Thats about what they want for a used one at my nearest dealer. I keep a close eye on the clearance stuff at Dennis Kirk.

I've got Tech 8 boots. I love em. You won't regret getting boots. I wish I had checked into 'Four' boots. They're a lot cheaper than Alpine Stars and made with ATV rider's in mind.

Also the Fox Forma Pro boots are right up there (in some areas better) with the Tech 8s but priced around $230.00!

I refuse to ride with out my helmet, boots, and chest protector as I consider that the "basic" gear. Most people that don't wear this kind of gear just don't ride that hard and haven't discovered the brutal need for the gear yet like kreed did.

If you hit large jumps, ride aggressively, do big hill climbs your gear is extremely valuable to you, a necessity, and a must rather then just an accessory/"maybe one day" option (especially the boots for large jumps). You can usually tell (on the average) how good/what kind of riding a person does by the gear they wear/don't wear.

The people cruising down trails with just shoes and a helmet id consider just semi-experienced trail riders or extremely idiotic if they are good (and there aren't to many advanced riders with no gear around).

I would agree, even if your going for a small slow cruise that's usually when stupid **** happens. I would recommend the thor force protector, very comfy and light, and you'll forget it's there while riding. I would rather spend 100+ rather than 10,000 just for a simple broken bone! That's no bullshit either, even a broken scaphoid in the wrist is tougher to heal and requires a bone stimulator (4,000 just for the stimulator itself). :eek: Make the investment!!!

but as of now i just wear a helment, goggles, work boots, gloves... till christmas.. im gettting thor 06 pahse rider apparel, thor chest protector, and oneal boots

if they are good riders they wouldnt need any protection

No... The "good" riders hit jumps, do larger then life tricks, and realize the negative outcome of un-controllable variables, mistakes, and accidents. No matter how "good" you are there is always an uncontrollable variable in ANYTHING; its not a matter of IF you fall but when... To become "good" you need riding experience, with riding experience comes rider mistakes; no one just hops on a quad and hits a triple never casing or ******* up once EVER.

No "good" rider wears no protective gear while doing serious riding; a rider with no protection isn't a "good" rider he/she is a stupid rider, an injured rider, or worse! ...a dead rider.

Bottom line if you ride hard you have experienced at one point or another a life threatening or possibly severely injuring moment. If you have not had a moment that hasn't scared you or taught you to wear that level of protective gear you have not yet ridden "hard" or advanced; you are a "trail blazer".

[quote:7lrk4z82]if they are good riders they wouldnt need any protection

Bottom line if you ride hard you have experienced at one point or another a life threatening or possibly severely injuring moment. If you have not had a moment that hasn't scared you or taught you to wear that level of protective gear you have not yet ridden "hard" or advanced; you are a "trail blazer".[/quote:7lrk4z82]

thats not true.. you can ride hard and not have a moment that scared you or has tought you to wear protective gear.. i ride hard ive had a moment that almost killed me but i wasnt riding hard then. just tryed to skip a flooded crick ::) and didnt work.. just because you havent crashed hard doesnt mean your not a good rider. now yes any rider will have their fair share of crashes. and a person that hits huge jumps obviously has a better chance of getting hurt. but you can have some dumb ass rider hit a huge jump not knowin wht hes doing and crash. so that must mean hes a good rider ??? right by wht your saying?

I ride pretty aggressively and always with helmet, gloves, boots, and goggles. From now on that list will include chest protector. I wasn't really pushing myself when I wiped out because I didn't feel covered without a chest protector.

My little bro is a very good rider and has a chest protector but very rarely wears it. We've both wiped out a lot but have never been seriously injured until now. I wouldn't have gotten hurt now if I hadn't landed on a rock. That is one of the uncontrollable variables such as Death was referring to. And, yes, every good rider has had bad wrecks. Whether they were injured or not. A smart man learns from his mistakes but a genius learns from other's mistakes.

I seen people on the trails saturday without even helmets on. They weren't riding the same trails as I was, but they could still mess up and it would be catastrophic.

i have all gear, jersey, pants, boots, helmet, gloves, goggls, and of course chest protector. The only thing that bother me are the boots (i hate them) and the goggles kinda move around on my face if i am riding in a rough area.

Something is wrong if the goggles move around. Mine have rubber like strips that grip the helmet to keep the strap in place and I wear it snug enough to keep the goggle from moving.

Back