Do You Have A Chest Protector?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote:4dgc71et]

Bottom line if you ride hard you have experienced at one point or another a life threatening or possibly severely injuring moment. If you have not had a moment that hasn't scared you or taught you to wear that level of protective gear you have not yet ridden "hard" or advanced; you are a "trail blazer".

thats not true.. you can ride hard and not have a moment that scared you or has tought you to wear protective gear.. i ride hard ive had a moment that almost killed me but i wasnt riding hard then. just tryed to skip a flooded crick ::) and didnt work.. just because you havent crashed hard doesnt mean your not a good rider. now yes any rider will have their fair share of crashes. and a person that hits huge jumps obviously has a better chance of getting hurt. but you can have some dumb ass rider hit a huge jump not knowin wht hes doing and crash. so that must mean hes a good rider ??? right by wht your saying? [/quote:4dgc71et]

No... I was using "crashes" as a depictive analytical paraphrase; as you become more experienced and attempt new things you also experience the more dangerous sides of the sport leading the more smart people to seek out better protection. Thus most of the time as a beginner rider with out this "crash" or fear of crash experience they tend not to seek protection past a helmet... As you become more involved in the sport and become hurt or damn near hurt you desire better protection. I never used "crashes" to distinguish a definite character/skill of rider; just used along the lines and in relation to a persons riding level directly linking it to a type of "parallel" similitude - as an analogy.

So does wearing full riding gear and crashing make you a good rider? No... That is not what I said. But is full gear more common among the more experienced riders that have been involved in bad crashes and those "uncontrollable variables"; the ones that do hit the big jumps and hill climbs - yes.

Do all people with that skill wear it? No. But that makes them a "bad" rider because he isn't a "smart" rider; he will **** up one day and be a dead rider...

I don't see to many above intermediate riders (or smart ones) on the trail wearing close to or over $1,000.00 in full protective gear just because it looks cool... They wear it with the intention of using it - this defining most peoples riding skill based on the gear.

You completely missed the point and only translated to yourself the black and white meaning of my writing. I don't expect you or many people to understand though (Kreed did, kudos - w00t!)...

Capiche'? :D

Does anyone have a Tek-Vest? I was gonna get one for my snowmobile then realized I could use it on my quad too. Do the plastic chest protectors just protect the chest or your whole torso (sides back etc..)? Im gonna get something after some close calls with snowmobilers these past couple of seasons and like the light weight and low profile of the plastic stuff. Any advice appreciated.

I've never had any experience with one, but they claim to offer full upper body protection and anything is better than nothing. It's not cold long enough down here for me to consider one. Here is a link to a similar item that is only $80 at Rocky Mtn. ATV
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLargerImage.do?prodImage=N/NEM_ARMOUR.JPG

Of course, there are a lot of different ones:
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?store=Main&catId=103&leafCatId=10301

I've got it narrowed down to these two:
e27010009.jpg

e14033001.jpg

go with the number 2... thats wht i am getting,.. the first one is foam. wht is that going to protect you from.... oh and death i kinda got wht you ment a smart rider would wear the protection .. me personaly havent had the scary experience or a very big crash (not saying i havent crashed b4.. ive crashed a couple times jumping) but not bad enough to learn to wear chest protectors or boots.. but nonetheless im getting full racing gear,thor phase 06 gloves, pants, jersey, thor chest protector, oneail boots.. already have a helment and goggles... plus im gonna start racing in the spring (hopefully fingers crossed on that and yfz) and it would make me look more professional and to give me protection......

... A smart man learns from his mistakes but a genius learns from other's mistakes...

"The only difference between genious and stupidity is genious has a limit"

i dont like fox.. i dont know why tho.. just seem like to much possers wear fox ****... but hey wht can i say i wear dc's shoes

i dont like fox.. i dont know why tho.. just seem like to much possers wear fox ****... but hey wht can i say i wear dc's shoes

To much posers... And posers don’t wear thor? rofl If thor protected me as well as fox I would be wearing thor ****, I don’t give a **** about the name. Look at the above thor chest protector and look at that fox one; the fox one clearly has more protective area. Why didn’t I buy the Thor Quadrant boots when I was trying them on a while ago? That’s because the fox boots were MUCH better and pretty much on the same level as tech 8s, no thor to be found there either... My fox helmet has Kevlar in it - the Thors I looked at don’t, nor did they have a very sturdy jaw protective area, the fox helmet was MUCH sturdier.

**** brand I go with quality **** for the best price.

Lol I have news for you bro - there are as much “posers” wearing thor **** as fox ****, even more so in some cases. Then again I haven’t heard the word “poser” since I was in Middle School, lolol I got a kick out of remembering it when you said it.

and wht i meant by poser was ppl you think they are badass cuz they wear fox racing colothes... and im sure there are alot of ppl do that with thor.. i just see it more with fix clothes

and wht i meant by poser was ppl you think they are badass cuz they wear fox racing colothes... and im sure there are alot of ppl do that with thor.. i just see it more with fix clothes

lol who the **** cares what they think let them; that doesnt make the company bad. There are def just as much thor posers! w00t

haha you have to pay for a broken bone??? Thats one thing that sucks about the U.S. you pay for going to the doctor and to the hospital. Here its all free.

...let's not go there

Health care rocks in Canada, this is definatly the place to be if your into any type of extreme sport or just plain hurting yourself. Not to mention the scenery and thousands and thousands of square miles of open land.
I've been to the hospitol dozens of times on never layed out a cent. My girlfriend hurt her back at work, I'd hate to see the bill after 2 months of Physio twice a week if we lived some place else.

If she done it at work, she'd have it made here...lol

Wish I had done it at work!

As far as thor and fox, I've always had thor stuff. The fox, as pictured, does look like it has more protection, but I think that is partly because of camera angle and the thor being clear. When I looked at a thor in black it still has the same angle of photo but looks bigger somehow. I don't have anything against fox. I'll probably go to the bike shop to actually see both before I order one. I'd like to try them on as well to see which one feels better.

Back