Clutch slippage?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 98 warrior has been a super reliable quad since I got it, but it’s had a constant problem since I bought it. The clutch seems to slip and jump when I give her a bit of throttle. I’ve changed the oil twice, and replaced the clutch as well. I now only hops in third gear. I can’t seem to figure out why, so I figured I’d ask you guys. Any help Is appreciated and I need to figure this out. Thanks!

Its not the reverse linkage either. Tried that.
I'm guessing you adjusted the clutch cable, at both ends, after replacing the plates and springs. Noticed metal flakes or fragments in the oil when drained? Once it's shifted into third or any gear, does it stay in gear under hard throttle, climbing a hill? Also, not everyone's idea of a "slipping" clutch is the same. The meanings of shop terms can get crossed up. So I'm not implying that you don't know what you are talking about when I ask, "What does slipping mean to you? On my 98' I just have to tap the lever when shifting under load. Is it possible you have the cable adjusted too tight? That would cause the clutch to be partially engaged all the time.

I'm guessing you adjusted the clutch cable, at both ends, after replacing the plates and springs. Noticed metal flakes or fragments in the oil when drained? Once it's shifted into third or any gear, does it stay in gear under hard throttle, climbing a hill? Also, not everyone's idea of a "slipping" clutch is the same. The meanings of shop terms can get crossed up. So I'm not implying that you don't know what you are talking about when I ask, "What does slipping mean to you? On my 98' I just have to tap the lever when shifting under load. Is it possible you have the cable adjusted too tight? That would cause the clutch to be partially engaged all the time.
When it’s slipping it revs up and makes a very loud clacking sound as if it was chain slip, but it isn’t. if i give it anything more than a super ultra light input on the throttle it will start doing it. i did all the adjustments and it’s perfect in every other gear. the last time i changed the oil i did not see any flakes in it. I ordered a transmission off of ebay and i’m going to swap it out this weekend. hopefully that fixes it, because i can’t figure out what else it could be.

Back