changing the front sprocket

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarheadoo7

Reaction score
is it as easy as mashing that nut plate back and popping off the old sprocket?

i figured i would ask before i jumped in..

thanks for any input

i figured it would need some persuasion..

any tips on what brand to buy? i found a sprocket on elay for 15 bucks... ? cheapo? should i go with a "name brand"?

i dont really know about that but youll probably want to change both sprokets and the chain at the same time... there are different theorys on this and that statement might start an arguement ahahaha

I use an 18" adjustable wrench when I change mine, it works good and it's easier than trying to track down a damn 32mm metric socket or whatever size it is. It's as simple as it looks though, flatten the locking tab out and put the engine in first gear, it should come off without much of a fight.

It's definitely best to replace the sprockets and chain as a set. As the chain stretches and the sprockets wear they do it in a matched pattern. Throw one new part in with old parts and it's not going to mesh properly. It'll accelerate wear on all the parts, and greatly increases the chance of having the chain jump off and get thrown through the engine case. Spending another 70 bucks to replace the whole set sounds better than risking that you destroy the engine case and leave yourself stranded because you tried to save a few bucks.

I don't know about buying a no-brand sprocket on ebay. There's no way of knowing what it's even made out of, it could be made out of cheap recycled Hyundais instead of a decent quality hard steel.

For that price you can get a known good brand name. The only ones I don't trust are the ones without a name, any brand name like Sunstar, JT, Primary Drive, Moose, Parts Unlimited, etc. will work fine for you.

ahah recycled hyundais.. :D

thanks... my chain looks a little shabby anyway ill probably jump on this chance to swap it out.. any recommendations for chains?

buddy of mine (fivemilefinish) bought the whole set from Primary Drive and it was relatively cheap. Not to shabby either. The chain looks cool!

The chain brands go about the same as the sprockets. As long as it's a brand name it should be good quality. Definitely go with at least an o-ring chain, x-ring chains are better yet. Any ringed chain will outlast a standard roller chain tenfold, and are easier and cheaper to maintain. My chain of choice is a Parts Unlimited X-ring, but I just installed a Primary Drive X-ring on my buddy's Warrior and it seems to be good quality so far and priced good. The x-ring chain will have less rolling resistance than a standard o-ring, will seal out dirt and moisture better, and because of that it will last longer than any other kind of chain. For the extra couple bucks I think the x-ring is well worth the investment.

i used to have a non-oring chain, and i dont know why i was so stupid, i had to adjust that thing all they time. my sprockets finally wore out so i got a chain and sprocket kit from magicracing.com with an X-ring chain and i absolutly love it. i hardly ever adjust it, and have never had a problem after 3 years. my front sprocket is a little worn after 3 years, but the $70 was well worth it. like yamarider said, a name brand x-ring chain is a great chain, and an o-ring chain is still 100% better than a non-oring chain.

I'm the only person on the board who wont run an oring chain. I bought a cheap primary drive 520H racing chain. Non o-ring and ran it for a full year with no problems. Oring chains are too stiff and too heavy IMO. Keep it oiled and clean and both will last a long time

I mean 27 bucks for a chain....one time every 2 years. I run my chains till they are stretched to the max... then i cut a couple links out and run it again. Which after that everything is pretty much toasted..... But chains and sprockets should be purchased at the same time.... they have to "wear in"

I have the primary drive 15tooth front sprocket and have had no problems with it and doesnt do too bad on wear either

DSWwarrior350 said:
I'm the only person on the board who wont run an oring chain. I bought a cheap primary drive 520H racing chain. Non o-ring and ran it for a full year with no problems. Oring chains are too stiff and too heavy IMO. Keep it oiled and clean and both will last a long time

I mean 27 bucks for a chain....one time every 2 years. I run my chains till they are stretched to the max... then i cut a couple links out and run it again. Which after that everything is pretty much toasted..... But chains and sprockets should be purchased at the same time.... they have to "wear in"

HA! I always chuckled when you argue the weight and stiffness of an o-ring chain, no offense. It just seems like a number which is going to be less than a pound is such an irrelevant thing on a quad as tanklike as a warrior that it doesn't really balance out the time it takes to adjust it more often and replacing the chain and sprockets more often. You have the potential to gain more performance just by washing all the mud off and waxing the fenders - you shave weight AND decrease wind drag!!!

And you say your chains last you a year or 2... don't I remember you mentioning before that you ride like once or twice a year?

I used to ride every single day for months straight when this board first started... I work 55 plus hours a week doing heavy construction now... the last thing i want to do on sundays is beat myself up on the warrior. I'd much rather go for a cruise on the bike or just relax.

After i wore out my stock oring chain and switched to non o-ring it was an increase in power. For how cheap a non oring chain is... why dont you buy one and give it a try... you might be surprised. If you feel it made no diffrence keep it as a backup or sell it to someone. I mean 20 bucks?

Non oring chains flex easier, have less drag, weigh less, make less noise cost a 1/4 of the price of some high end oring chains. O-ring chains last longer... require less maitenence.. other than that not too many advantages. Both types will stretch and both need to be taken care of. Most people dont actually take care of their machines like some of us do... in that case yes an oring chain is better.... but i always scrubbed my chain and put some spray grease on it.... messy yes, but it lasts...not chain lube.

Back