Chain length

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dte825

Reaction score
What's up fellows? Haven't been on here in a while. Had a baby girl a while back so the warrior has been on the back burner. Anyway I just stuck a 12T sprocket cuz I do alot of rock crawling and log crossing and I want to get a little lighter in the front end. When I went to tighten my chain I found that I bottomed out on my chain adjustment. I'm guessing my stock chain is wore out and that is why I ran out of adjustment. Should the stock chain size work with the 12T front or do I need to get a shorter chain? Thanks for your help.

Welcome back to the site, and congrats about the kid.

A new chain of the stock size (98 links) will work with a 12 tooth, but it will be about halfway through the adjustment range right out of the box. A stock length chain can still have a lot of life left in it with a 12 tooth when those adjustments bottom out. Then you just have to take a link out of the chain and you're good to go.

The real measure for the wear of a chain is taking a measurement of the length of the links, I think usually specs are given for how long 5 links of the chain are supposed to be, and then if it's out of those specs it should be replaced. Then of course if you have links of the chain that bind up it should be replaced as well.

Depending on how worn your chain is you really should replace the chain and both sprockets at the same time anyways. A worn chain will really accelerate wear on a new sprocket, and vice versa. As chains and sprockets wear they form a unique pattern, the shape of the teeth on the sprockets change, the links in the chain stretch, etc. As a new chain and sprocket wear they will match each other and wear evenly. But put together one that's new and one that's old, **** can hit the fan when you get up to higher speeds.

Thanks man. Think I'll order up a new chain and rear sprocket. Should I go with the 98 or should I drop down to a 96 so that I have more adjustment for when the new chain stretches. My fear is that if I get a 96 and decide to go back to a 13T it wont fit. Am I right?

You need a 98 even for the 12 tooth until it stretches out some, so definitely go with the 98. You'll just need to take a link out after it starts getting worn.

Have a 2005 raptor 350 and I’m wondering what size chain and front sprocket I need to buy.

Back