Broken valve stem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThE BeaSt oF GuMm hiLL

Reaction score
While rock crawling the other day I accidentally broke off a replacement metal valve stem on my wolverine and had no way to replace it being on a trip 3 hrs from home and about 5 miles into a 50 mile loop I didn't want to quit riding so with McGyver like reflexes came up with a solution.
We managed to get air back into the tire using a portable compressor with a blow type nozzle my buddy had with his Grizzly. Then with a small screwdriver managed to shove part of a tacky strip from one of those hole repair kits down the end of the broken valve stem. The stem was still leaking air a little when I found a small screw I had in a repair kit which I screwed into the valve stem with the tacky strip and GUESS WHAT, NO MORE LEAK finished out the rest of the 45 miles with no more problems from the tire and I have pictures to prove it.
Just thought this tip might help somebody else out there in need if the situation ever arises.

Nice tip!

We had a guy rip the entire stem out of his rim in some mud. Luckily, another rider had a spare. We tried breaking the tire off the bead, but those Maxxis Bighorns are some solid tires. I don't know how he managed, but he was able to get the stem in from the outside of the rim...with a little WD-40 and a screw driver. After pumping it up, it held air for the rest of the day.

stem1.jpg

stem2.jpg

on our jeeps we take a piece of gas pipe cut to about 1 inch and weld it around our valve stem, works great on steel wheels so rocks cant damage your valve stem

Latest posts

Back