battery hookup and not starting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquidplasma

Reaction score
Good morning all, im trying to figure out a problem im having with a newly purchased yamaha warrior 2001.It didn't have a battery so I had to buy one but I dont know if i hooked it up properly? All the wires were dumped together, I have one yellow one with a fuse so it seems thats positive.One red which is power,one black ground, the one im not certain about is a smaller harness that has two white/blacks and one green all on the same terminal.They seem small for ground wires but yet again I know nothing.I put them on the ground anyways and they bike turns over but it seems I have just no spark.It won't even start on compression. The bike itself has about 23 hrs use it literally looks new, and even has the red/yellow lines on the tires from new it was never used hardly.The fuel was drained so its on new fuel so I doubt its bad gas.The spark plug looks new, any suggestions on what I should try? I dont want to burn the starter on it trying and trying to start it.Thanks

The only wires you should have hooked to the battery are the thick red and black wire. The red wire runs under the seat and to the solenoid.The black runs down to the frame as a ground. From the solenoid you should have a black wire on 1 side that goes to the starter and on the other there is the thick red wire mentioned earlier and a smaller red wire that goes down and turns into a red/white wire(the red/white wire gives power to everything make sure its hooked up). All of the other color wires are probably for the tail light. Ill get a picture or 2, maybe that would help.

Last edited:
Here is the red/white wire that needs to be hooked up.You can also see the solenoid in the background.Just make sure the hotwire and the little red wire that turns into red/white is hooked to one post and the wire to the starter is hooked to the other.
ZfUH9l.jpg

Here is a pic of the only wires you should have hooked to the battery.
1pCaGl.jpg

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info I hooked it up. , it turns but won't start. I even tried starter fluid in air intake engine didn't even change sounds. Can coils just due off even with minimal use or is there a neutral switch that cuts the fire

It could be something as stupid as your kill switch is in the off posistion. Best thing is to take the plug out of the head, put it into the wire, and rest the electrodes against the head. Crank the engine, and watch to see if it sparks. Then go from there.

Man Sup you must do so hard riding if you have to carry a spare ball joint with you :)

I mean, ya know ;). Na, that was in there when I got it, i didnt take it out. I sold my warrior today anyway, it was a basket case. Picking my YZ 250 up tuesday afternoon.Ill get another warrior eventually.

Thanks for the info I hooked it up. , it turns but won't start. I even tried starter fluid in air intake engine didn't even change sounds. Can coils just due off even with minimal use or is there a neutral switch that cuts the fire

Your plug could not be gapped right or something.Do like pat said and check to see if it sparks, if its weak, get a new plug and gap it to spec. The biggest thing is to make sure that little red wire that goes to red and white is connected, thats what gives power to most things i believe. Also make sure your killswitch is set to run and your key is on..sounds simple but ive fretted before and didnt have my killswitch set to "run" lol.While you're at it, make sure you dont have any naked wires touching the frame anywhere, that can cause some massive problems.

I checked with the sparkplug test and I have ample spark.With that said looks like a fuel issue I guess.Is it best to rebuild the carb and is it a big job to remove? or is it something gunked up inside the carb that I can remoe clean and reinstall?

I checked with the sparkplug test and I have ample spark.With that said looks like a fuel issue I guess.Is it best to rebuild the carb and is it a big job to remove? or is it something gunked up inside the carb that I can remoe clean and reinstall?

No the carb is pretty easy to remove, you just gotta take of all of your front plastics and gas tank so you have plenty of room to get to it.That only takes a few minutes.. I would go ahead and rebuild it if I was you. A rebuild kit is like $22.00 on ebay with free shipping. It has all new jets, needles, and gaskets. I would do that b/c you never know how long its been since rebuilt, if ever.If you dont wanna drop as much cash you can just buy some gumout carb and choke cleaner for like $3 at the dollar store, take the carb apart and clean it real good. Make sure all the jets are clear and your float is set right. Like I said though, for the small amount, I'd just rebuild it to be safe.

You don't have to remove the front fenders. You only need to remove the nose piece, and the tank shroud plus the tank. You can actaully leave the shroud on the tank. They will come out as an assy.

i have found it easier to leave the nose on and just do the 2 top screws on the nose and then unbolt the tank and slide her out lol

Yea, you dont have to take them all off, but while I was at it I always did so I had plenty of room and didnt have to slide or squeeze anything into place.its only a few more screws..

Yea, you dont have to take them all off, but while I was at it I always did so I had plenty of room and didnt have to slide or squeeze anything into place.its only a few more screws..

YEA MAN a 10mm and a #3 screwdriver.........get all that **** outta the way:tup:
i have 1 small black wire along with my neg wire, if i remember its IMPORTANT not sure where it origins from, been a bit since i put harness in, obviously a ground

Last edited:
IT LIVES!!!!!! Thanks to all that helped me the carb jet was clogged so I rebuilt it all . And because of this site and its gallery I decided to have my whole frame repainted .Damn you !!! And your pictures. I could no longer justify the spots of rust on my frame when I've seen the jobs a lot of you did on this site. No it's to buy the Haines manual and see how long a job it takes to strip it all.

IT LIVES!!!!!! Thanks to all that helped me the carb jet was clogged so I rebuilt it all . And because of this site and its gallery I decided to have my whole frame repainted .Damn you !!! And your pictures. I could no longer justify the spots of rust on my frame when I've seen the jobs a lot of you did on this site. No it's to buy the Haines manual and see how long a job it takes to strip it all.

honestly bro, i just stripped, sandblasted and repainted with RUST-OLEUM. i wont go that way again, PC it! I just met a dude with a banshee that had his PC'ed and it looked unbelievable! he said it cost him $125 which sounds to cheap, but i have at least that in paint, check it out

Back