Another "No Power" question. Odd...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetFuelBurner

Reaction score
So the saga continues with my '87 Warrior 350. I was getting ready to replace my stator due to a no charge issue with a test that showed a bad stator.

I got home from work last week and my pull starter (thank you Mathius-you rock), my stator and gasket and clymer manual were awaiting my return. I try to start the quad so I can get it up from the basement into the garage. I had the battery on a tender but it seemed to be not holding a charge. Fresh off the tender, I would try to start and it would attempt to turn over and make 1 or 2 revolutions VERY weakly and then the clicking from the solenoid like a dead battery. The specific gravity tester (a cheapie) showed a good batt earlier when I was troubleshooting the no charge issue. I take out the batt and put it on a regular charger for a couple hours and the amps never go below 3a and I can smell the fumes and the batt is making a sizzling sound...no lie. I pull it off the charger and just resolve to get a new batt. I do, add the electrolyte, wait an hour and put it on the battery tender, not the full monty charger. This was last night. The tender goes to green/maintain. I leave it til this morning. I put it in the quad and the same thing. Weak turn over, then just what sounds like the solenoid clicking. I check the connections again, turn on the key and nothing. No lights, no attempt to crank, nothing. :argh:

The new battery has a full 12v tested with the multi meter. The specific gravity tester shows good. It's a brand new battery.

I'm currently going through the Yamaha service manual and the clymer manual with no luck.

Anyone had this experience? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 89 waverunner 500 and my 87 warrior and if the clicking is coming from the solenoid/relay then it generally needs to be replaced and it's actually a fairly common problem. The $10 eBay ones work great too so it's not super pricey.

Dude this happened to me last week... I charged my ATV battery to full and tried it on my Quad. The electric starter barely turned and then heard a sound coming from the small electric box. So I figured my battery must be charged but not holding ENOUGH charge. So I then took my cars battery and tried it on. And Boom the quad started right away. You can try this to find out if it is your battery or your wires.

PS Did you check your fuses ?

I agree sounds like a bad ground or a short somewhere. try jumping the selenoid with a screwdriver and if it works get a selenoid... If you have the old battery hook it up to the big boy charger for about 8 hours and the boiling of the acid somehow brings some of these old batteries back to life. but it will stink and eat concrete so do it on wood or outside to avoid the mess. But since the old battery is a spare try that to see if it will hold charge. I have seen many of these come back in my time at the shop

Back