'98 Warrior Clutch Question

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanehouston

Reaction score
Hi all, Well i took the warrior out of the garage the other day for the 1st time in a while and noticed that the clutch seems to slip as i wind out second. After the engine gets warm it stops. I have a brand new clutch for it but the one currently on the quad isnt that old and doesnt have many hours on it. A friend of mine owns a Harley dealership and one of his employee's (techs) stated that it was pretty normal when the weather gets cooler and even some cycles do it as well. Anyone else heard of this?

Hi all, Well i took the warrior out of the garage the other day for the 1st time in a while and noticed that the clutch seems to slip as i wind out second. After the engine gets warm it stops. I have a brand new clutch for it but the one currently on the quad isnt that old and doesnt have many hours on it. A friend of mine owns a Harley dealership and one of his employee's (techs) stated that it was pretty normal when the weather gets cooler and even some cycles do it as well. Anyone else heard of this?

First off what type of oil are you using? Unless you like get out and bwamp on the thing right away when it’s dead cold below freezing temps I don’t see the temperature being an issue. Once the quad is up to operating temp (and it should be brought there even in the dead of summer before riding) you are golden. Your clutch could not be adjusted correctly, if it was worked on before it could have not been assembled the correct way, a previous owner could of molested it, etc...

*But once again most importantly what kind of oil do you use in her?

Also a Harley is an entire dif. bike - anything that can go wrong will go wrong lol.

yes thats what happened to my warrior one of the shafts were installed the wrong way. It screwed up a lot of my gears and it would slip out, and have shavings in the bottom.

he's saying that the clutch is slipping. When the clutch slips it doesn't mean it pops out of gear, it just slips.

When my clutch went out it did the opposite. It was fine while the motor was cool, but once it was running for a while and the clutch was heated up it would start slipping at the top of the gears.

The very end of your clutch lever should be able to swing 5mm freely before any tension is put on the clutch cable. It should be able to wiggle 5mm at the very end back and forth. If it requires force to pull the lever in right off the bat it needs to be loosened, that will cause the clutch springs to not be able to put the full amount of force on the plates. If that isn't the case you might have a kind of oil in there that isn't wet clutch compatible, which will cause your plates to not grip each other. Hopefully one of these is your problem, the warrior has a very tough clutch that should definately last quite some time before it takes a crap. Depending on how much it was ragged on you might need to replace it.

Sorry for the late reply! The clutch is slipping as i wind out 2nd. until up to normal operating temp. I wouldn't think it was an adjustment considering it hasn't been messed with at all. DeathShadow, You may have just helped me figure out what the issue may be. The oil & filter had been changed during the time frame the quad had been sitting, normally with Motul ATV oil.. My brother in-law changed the oil and i had noticed that i had more oil than i thought i had. I called him a little earlier and found that the explanation for the extra quarts of oil was simple, He used some Castrol 10W-40 that i have stocked up for our race car. He said that the Clymer manual that i had stated that is what it took, i looked in the manual and in fact it does state that it uses a 10W-40 oil but doesn't get technical. I'm assuming this is what is causing this correct? If so would it have caused damage? the quad was run about 1 mile since this has been in it..... ???

Sorry for the late reply! The clutch is slipping as i wind out 2nd. until up to normal operating temp. I wouldn't think it was an adjustment considering it hasn't been messed with at all. DeathShadow, You may have just helped me figure out what the issue may be. The oil & filter had been changed during the time frame the quad had been sitting, normally with Motul ATV oil.. My brother in-law changed the oil and i had noticed that i had more oil than i thought i had. I called him a little earlier and found that the explanation for the extra quarts of oil was simple, He used some Castrol 10W-40 that i have stocked up for our race car. He said that the Clymer manual that i had stated that is what it took, i looked in the manual and in fact it does state that it uses a 10W-40 oil but doesn't get technical. I'm assuming this is what is causing this correct? If so would it have caused damage? the quad was run about 1 mile since this has been in it..... ???

That is your problem right there!!! You need to use MOTORCYCLE oil only! The additives and detergents in normal motor oil are not wet clutch friendly and will destroy it very quickly. You can try draining the oil right away and putting in some motorcycle oil but many times it’s to late :(. You probably won’t find motorcycle oil in any normal automotive supply store (I haven’t yet around here); you are going to have to go to a Motorcycle/ATV dealer or repair shop.

*Use 10W40 in the Winter (if your winters are cold - temps below 32*F) & 20W50 in the summer (or all year round if your temps never drop below freezing).

Autozone carries it down here now. I'm looking to start ordering synthetic from Amsoil though. It's cheaper than the dealer's synthetic around here.

I get my valvoline atv oil at autozone. The other places around here (pep boys and advance auto) sell motorcycle oil.

Our Autozone doesnt carry any oil fit for wet clutches :mad:.

Ours didn't but now it does.

Yamarider, what I get is Valvolene 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil and it is made for wet clutch applications.

You don't like Amsoil? That is what is in my boy's and it seems to be doing real well.
amsoil.jpg

that's ok if you like spending $40 for a damn oil change. When I had my recon I spent $1.50 on an oil change. Just moving up to $3.19 a quart seems like a lot to me.
Valvoline%20ATV_t2006_1_6_18_41_5_q75_f8_600x450.jpg

I warmed up the engine and drained the auto oil out of it this afternoon and added ATV oil and now she don't slip :) thanks for helping get this issue resolved.. As for oil i used to use yamalube in it but started noticing that it would get caught between gears. After consulting with my local dealer they stated that i should try this stuff : http://www.cyclesolutions.net/component/option,com_ridegear/sku,F-17880/ which i did. They told me that them being a dealer ship its very un common for them to recommend a non-yamaha product and if and when they did it was only in a situation where they truly have seen 1st hand where it out performs yamaha brand products. Long story short, I put the stuff in my warrior and the quad absolutely shifted like silk, and to be honest it shifted better than it did when the quad was new back in '98. For the price, try some and I'm pretty sure you want use anything after that.... thanks again for the help....

-Note: For some reason the i couldnt hyper link the entire url, If intrested cut and paste the entire url...

that's ok if you like spending $40 for a damn oil change. When I had my recon I spent $1.50 on an oil change. Just moving up to $3.19 a quart seems like a lot to me.
Valvoline%20ATV_t2006_1_6_18_41_5_q75_f8_600x450.jpg
thats wht i use right there

I get Amsoil for free at the shop :-D!

Oh Yeah! :(.....well ???......ya still a yankee :mad:....so there! ;Dlol

The shop I bought my son's Kazuma at said that they recommend it on everything they sell: quads, jetskis, and bikes.

Back