97 warrior... weird idle, rpms stay high???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorgirl

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

New to this site and new to quads it comes to mechanical issues so any opinions and information would be greatly appreciated..

I recently bought a 97 warrior brought it back home and the next day it would start, idle but as soon as I pushed the throttle it would backfire, cough and splutter and eventually die. We thought maybe the carburetor needed a clean so we pulled it out and cleaned it inside out. It still did the same thing and after much research on the internet I found the problem to be the parking brake, so anyone with that problem, make sure you check your parking brake is not engaged or faulty.

Anyway back to my real question. It ran fine for about a day after that and then suddenly started to idle weird. It idles okay for a maybe 15 seconds and then the idle goes up really high. Its like its fluctuating. I played with idle screw and that didn't make a difference. I also noticed when riding it that when in first and even sometimes second gear it will continue to drive itself even when the throttle is released (doesn't always do it) and when slowing down the rpms will still stay really high like I am holding in the throttle.. but I'm not. what could be causing this????

I did notice the accelerator pump inside the carb wasn't springing back properly so I changed the spring to one from a pen and it seems to be working good now.

Like I said, I don't know a lot, so any help would be great! sorry for the long post

thanks in advance:nanner:

could be a cracked intake boot or possibly the throttle cable is too tight
more so the intake manifold boot is cracked and is sucking too much air
while it's running spray some WD-40 on the boot between the carb and head if it idles down then thats your problem

Check you intake manifold for any splits. They are known to do that, big time. Being that it ran good for a day, I'd say that is the very most likely cause. Also, check the rest of your induction system for defects.

ill check the intake boot.. if that seems fine then how can I check if my throttle cable is too tight? if so how do I loosen it?? I know it might seem like a really dumb question so sorry :)

Okay, I visually checked the intake boot......... what do you know.. there is a big ass split in it. I will try and replace it this week and hopefully that fixes the problem.

thanks guys

You should only be able to feel a little play in the thumb throttle lever itself. No more then a 1/4" is my rule of thumb. Check it's play with the bars straight, and turned fully to the left and right. There are two ways to adjust the cable. One is at the throttle housing itself, this manely adjusts the free-play in the throttle lever itself. The other is on the carb itself where in enters the carb. This adjusts a lot of the slack out of the cable, and can actually open the throttle plate too much (the other adjuster can too). Remove the black side cover on the carb, and make sure the linkage in the carb is resting against it's stops.

Latest posts

Back