400ex Help Needed!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaballer97

Reaction score
Hey there guys, well I recently traded the Banshee for my 02 400ex. I noticed after I first rode it for a while it seeped a little oil out of some of the gaskets. So I fifgured it's no big deal, and I'll go buy some gaskets and put them in. But after riding it for a little over an hour, I noticed it had spit oil all over my right pant leg. I am not sure what is spitting the oil out or where it is spitting it out at. I'm thinking it might be opne of the hoses from the oil tank mounted up front, or could possibly be oil getting sprayed out of a torn spot in a gasket. After riding, and the bike idleing, you can't see oil leaking/ spraying at all. Please help, or give me your ideas as soon as possible!
Thanks, Josh

I checked the hoses to see if there was a considerable amount of oil on one, but they both have about the same amount of oil on them. I looked for a hole in the hose but couldn't find one. I can buy an engine gasket kit for 40 bucks. I had my buddy ride beside me around when it first started spitting, and he said he couldn't really tell, but it had gotten oil on my leg in about a 10 inch circle all over my coveralls leg. So I think whenever it is spitting it out it is like a mist. The clutch case gasket is leaking a little, and the head gasket is as well. There is oil sitting around the headers of the exhaust where the connect to the engine, I don't know if there are supposed to be small gaskets there or not, it could just be the head gasket leaking onto them. Thanks.

You've either got oil spitting out onto your leg, or the oil is getting sprayed back from somewhere up front, while you ride. Have you tried to race the engine some while in neutral to see if you can find the leak? Also, with the engine cold, take a couple cans of brakeclean and hose off ALL the oil saturated areas. Let it dry, THEN look for the leak.

You traded a banshee for a 400ex.?.. Am I missing something here? That's like trading a porsche for a cavalier..

not really; if he wanted a 400ex let him have it. they are both cool in there own way. and the 400ex can do more than the banshee.

Well first of all I had a warrior and it 2as a big pile of ****. They barely have any power compared to a 400 in my opinion, but yes they are very reliable. I've just always been a honda kind of guy. And the banshee was an 87 and the clutch case went out. So it was more than a fair trade, and the banshee didn't have a title, the 400 does. And "jshultz78" you don't know half of the story. I live in illinois, no dunes, or hills. So a 6" extended banshee that'll do 120 isn't too practical around here. Thank you for an actually helpful reply "Gen1Pat". I have revved the engine up after I rode it and looked for any spraying oil but didn't see any. I'll try the brake clean to dry it up and spot the leak.

Just yanking your chain.. Don't get me wrong tho, I'd like to have a 400ex myself, I'd trade the warrior off for one, as far as the +6 swingarm, i'd ditch that in a heartbeat. No dunes here either, a couple of sandbars but sand is for kids. lol I mainly woods ride with the occasional back road runs with my banshee.

as far as the oil leak goes, Check ALL of the case vent tubes and make sure they're not stopped up. My banshee when I got it would leak around the sprocket shaft gasket, come to find out a bug had built a nest inside one of the vent tubes and it wouldn't relieve the pressure and it was forcing the oil out the gasket.

Another thing to do is go over all the engine bolts and make sure they are tight. Don't over tighten them. Just put a socket and ratchet or wrench on em, and see if they are loose. Could be your only problem.

sounds like a pin hole in an oil line to me, only sprays when oils hot with quad under power. The fact that it directed a circular pattern on your leg also supports this theory. If it were a spray from a gasket hard enough to hit your leg everything would be COVERED. IMO check your lines for holes or dryrot/weather cracks. Also as stated above check all your case vents for debris. Pressure in the cases will cause it to seep around the gasket, or another path of least resistance.

Last edited:
Back