350 warrior weak spark

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inittab

Reaction score
Tried searching around a bit but no luck, I have a 95 warrior with I'm told a 96 motor, I rode it around for a bit over an hour, came back to put gas in it, made it half way down a hill and it died on me and refuses to start. I pulled the sparkplug and held it against the case and I can barely see the spark when I crank it.

I Downloaded the Warrior manual that is available here and I'm having some issues figuring it out. First the manual tells you to set your meter to 1, 100, 1k ohm etc. My meter only has the diode symbol, 200, 2k, 20k etc. I attempted to test the ignition coil but im not even getting a reading on the 2k setting, I do get a reading on the 20k setting.

second, I finally made my way to the stator/pickup coil wiring and my wiring colors do not match what the manual has. http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/yamaha-warrior-stator-1987-2001-p-142.html mine is the wiring style D, anybody have any recommendations on testing this?

Thanks

test the stator one set of colored wires should be 300 and the other 500ohms if I remeber right, I can't remember the setting for the meter but try them all,l onme will work. Let us know your results

Stator is on the outs. Id test it first but I can almost guarantee its your issue. When mine was going weak it was the stator. The source going bad will give you weak spark, no spark is usually just bad pickup long as all the rest checks out.

Tried searching around a bit but no luck, I have a 95 warrior with I'm told a 96 motor, I rode it around for a bit over an hour, came back to put gas in it, made it half way down a hill and it died on me and refuses to start. I pulled the sparkplug and held it against the case and I can barely see the spark when I crank it.

I Downloaded the Warrior manual that is available here and I'm having some issues figuring it out. First the manual tells you to set your meter to 1, 100, 1k ohm etc. My meter only has the diode symbol, 200, 2k, 20k etc. I attempted to test the ignition coil but im not even getting a reading on the 2k setting, I do get a reading on the 20k setting.

second, I finally made my way to the stator/pickup coil wiring and my wiring colors do not match what the manual has. http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/yamaha-warrior-stator-1987-2001-p-142.html mine is the wiring style D, anybody have any recommendations on testing this?

Thanks

I would touch the leads together to make sure the meter is working correctly.. I would set it to 200.
So the white wires are the charging side of the stator on all four plugs. I've never had to worry about that but the spec is .7 to .9

The other two are source coil and pickup coil on the stator. These two are the ones that go bad.. in your case I'm guessing it would be the source coil as it provides the charge to the cdi to the coil. The pickup provides the trigger to the coil. But I would check both just to make sure. I've see both go bad and cause this issue.
Pickup is 180 to 220 ohms
Source is 270-330 ohms.

Not saying the stator is the problem but I would check here first. Then make sure the igntion coil is good.

alright i have the ignition coil at home with me. between the ground lug and where the orange wire goes i have -.011 with the meter set to the diode picture under ohms. i get -.1 with it set to 200.

specs listed in the manual for this connection with ohm set to 1 are 0.36 ~ 0.48

between the end of the spark plug wire i get nothing with the meter set to 2k, with it set to 20k i get 6.49

specs listed in manual with ohm set to 1k = 5.44 ~ 7.36k

I'll have to check the stator connections when im back at the campground it's at.

Back