3150 Edelbrock Carb

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yammirider

Reaction score
Hey

I was looking into an edelbrock carb for my 90 warrior. anyone got anything to say about them? I have a 390 lift hot cam with performance valve springs/retainers, ported and polished head with high flow performance exhaust and a K&N replacement high flow filter with airbox breather kit on the lid and some pretty massive carb jetting!
someone told me you didn't have to adjust the main jets on these carbs and everything else like accelerator pump spray and low speed screw was all easily adjustible from the outside.
is this true?
Thanks in advance for any bit of info on the carb

The tuning on the Edelbrock carb is different from everything else. Basically your idle up to 1/3 throttle is controlled by the needle height, and your 1/3 to full throttle is controlled by replacing the needle with a different size. The carbs come with 3 different sized needles which will cover most applications. They take about 10 minutes total to swap out from the time you start to the time it's back on the quad and running, not too bad. To adjust the needle height, all you do is open the throttle wide open while turning an adjuster on the top of the carb, obviously with the engine not running, takes 15 seconds. Accelerator pump flow is adjusted with a single screw on the bowl of the carb easily accessed without any disassembly.

I had one of these for a while, and my only real complaint with it is that it does not have a choke or enrichener circuit for cold starting. On cold days in the winter I sometimes had to raise the needle height before I started it to get it rich enough that it would stay running, and then adjust it back down after the warrior warmed up. If you can live with that you will probably love this carb, I ride in the winter a lot and there were some moments when I really would have liked to grab it by the cable and see how far in the woods I could chuck it, the stock one was much nicer for cold weather starting. I'm talking about -10F sometimes, if it was right around freezing point it usually wasn't much of a problem, just a little annoying.

The worst episode I had was it was at a 3 day winter trip at Paragon, I woke up the second day to find that the case of beer on the floor beside me in my van had frozen, despite our propane camping heater which went out sometime during the night because the propane cylinder actually froze up. It was about 10 degrees outside, and because of the wet conditions the day before the throttle cable was frozen stiff. The battery was so cold it could barely turn over the engine, and on top of all that, no choke. I had to bake it beside the camp fire for 15 minutes and eventually it did fire up. Probably won't do that again though, there's no worse feeling than being camping, and you can't drink your beer because it froze. (on a note unrelated to quads or carbs, if you have frozen beer and drink that little bit of fluid on the surface that didn't freeze it's pretty much pure alcohol and it'll warm you up real nice when it's 10 degrees out)

Don't let that scare you away from it, just keep it in consideration when you make your decision, that's just one bad thing among many good things. The edel is the easiest carb I ever tuned on a quad, not only in it's design, but also it was very easy to find a sweet spot with it where everything worked great, and the throttle response was nice and sharp almost like it was an EFI system once I got it tuned right, I actually had to lean out the accelerator pump quite a bit to get it where I wanted it.

I got the edle and I think I'd love it even more if I could get it tuned in just right. I got mine used and never got the extra needles. Right now I can seem to get the thing tuned in right. I mean my quad runs great, idles fine, revs through fine but I just feel that its not right. (for me its hard to tell where that sweet spot is. The carb will run and rev just fine to where it can fool you, where in actuality it might be slightly lean or rich.) I deff. like it 80x more then the stocker. No more carb headaches. Little HP gain as well.

Also, if you get this carb and run the thumb throttle, I highly suggest getting a longer throttle lever. This carb deff stiffens up the throttle push. And after a 1.5hr race when your thumb will no longer move, you be happy you have that extra leverage.

yea just like yamarider said, the no choke is the worst thing about it. i got mine because i couldnt get my stock carb jetted right (i think there was something else wrong with it) so i bought mine and it was almost tuned good out of the box, just messed with the needle height. also like deadlast said, i dont think i have it tuned right either. i still feel i have more tuning in it, but tuning is very simple. also i have the twist throttle model so i cant say how hard the thumb model is. but i do love mine and am very glad i got it.

where do i find the3150 edelbrock carb, i bought a chinese one off of amazon and its junk.

Back