3000lb winch install

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day folks, I just got done installing my winch on my Wolvy and thought I would snap a few pics of the install. First thing I did was get all my parts before I even began the project. Since I really disliked the look of the factory bumper color I repainted the bumper and grab bar black. Much to my dismay the paint didn't last very long trail riding and hauling it around so I decided I would get them powder coated.

DSC05352 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05351 by binderpilot, on Flickr

I purchased the Warn winch mount after doing some research and decided this would work the best for my application as I like the fact that it is not only bolted to the bumper but you have to bolt to the frame as well.

DSC05357 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05344 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05347 by binderpilot, on Flickr
It is a very nice kit that comes with all the hardware and easy to understand instructions. I chose to purchase a 3000lb winch made by Champion, model #1361. I know it is not a top quality winch such as Warn however for my needs this would be sufficient. I really loved the price, $120 from Costco. It came with everything I would need as well as a wireless controller that will come in handy for spooling in the winch cable.

DSC05358 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05359 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05360 by binderpilot, on Flickr

DSC05361 by binderpilot, on Flickr

Due to restrictions on quantity to post I had to break up my write up:

I began by following the instructions with the mount

[/URL]
DSC05362[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I then reinstalled the bumper to the machine. Here is a shot to show you how the U clamps hold it in place.

[/URL]
DSC05374[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I then ran the 2 power wires from the Winch along the frame and chose to mount the solenoid in the dry area under the seat.

[/URL]
DSC05366[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I then mounted the rocker switch on the handlebars. This was another reason I chose this winch, I love the compact no frills design of the rocker switch. It is almost an identical match to the Warn rocker switch.

[/URL]
DSC05367[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I then had to figure out where I could mount the antenna for the wireless fob? I mounted it on the left side of the air box by using some zip ties as to not drill any holes.

[/URL]
DSC05365[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I really love my synthetic cable I put on my RZR so I decided this would be the perfect time to install one on this winch as it hasn't been marred by any cable. Here is a shot with the rope as well as the wireless Fob.

[/URL]
DSC05368[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

This particular rope comes with a brass end on it that I was able to bolt right onto the drum via a bolt that looks to be specifically for something along this line.

[/URL]
DSC05370[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I then proceeded to spool the rope. It sure was handy having the fob for this task as I am not sure how I could have gotten it on properly by using only the handlebar control.

[/URL]
DSC05371[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

(Tip of the day) ensure nylon sleeve is at end of rope connected to drum.

[/URL]
DSC05363[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

I spooled up very nicely and I was super happy with the end result.

[/URL]
DSC05373[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

Upon looking at it some more I decided that a winch lead saver would be kind of nice to have on this. I decided I would make my own and put a "Canadian" spin on it.

[/URL]
DSC05375[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

That's right, I decided to use a hockey puck that the kids left laying on the floor. The price was right and I think it should serve the purpose perfectly.

[/URL]
DSC05376[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

[/URL]
DSC05377[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

[/URL]
DSC05378[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

[/URL]
DSC05382[/URL] by binderpilot[/URL], on Flickr

So there you go if you have any questions on this please feel free to ask. I am really excited to try this out and especially to try my "DIY" home built winch lead absorber.

hey man, i just signed up for the site, i wanted to say thanks for the write-up and the pics! I'm from alberta too, gonna try an get out on the machine a few more times this year to crowsnest. I just bought the Exact same winch from costco! Where did you buy the mounting plate and the synthetic cable from? I'm just curious if I could fab something up to substitute the $80 piece of flatbar mounting plate from warn. i like the hockey puck lead saver! :tup:

Welcome to the forum, where do you live in Alberta? I have never been to Crowsnest for a quad trip, didn't even know there was anywhere they would allow quads to go there. I bought the mounting plate and syn cable from Cycle Works in Red Deer.

There is an area down the #3 highway around pincher creek with Lots of quadding/snowmobiling trails! Look up Castle Mountain, and Beaver Mines.. There there's a trail you can take up to a plane crash site from 1946 and parts of the wreckage is still there.. This is not my video but this is what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C5HRD8_TnE

We went camping and quadding last weekend, I haven't put the winch on yet.. I'd like to make a mounting plate myself out of some 1/4" plate, If I could figure out the dimensions and mounting holes required. Right now it's super dry there, in places there's fire bans when you're camped. Just decided that the rear suspension is too stiff for my liking, the trails were so dry and rocky, it beat the crap out of me. Wonder if anyone has figured out a cheap fix, I can't afford elka or fox suspensions.

That is awesome, I am totally going to plan a trip to see that. I am not sure what to say about the shocks? I seen a fellow had a set of reservoir shocks off a 700raptor on kijiji for $150. I called and got the dimensions but his shocks were 16.25" center to center for front and 15.25" center to center for rear where we need 17 1/4" rear and 13 1/2 front as far as I can tell with my machine. If you do figure what a cheap upgrade would be please let me know.

Back