2008 Wolverine Rear Arm/Driveshaft Boot Leaking

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NP Carling26

Reaction score
Hi all. I've got myself a little problem here. My 2008 Wolverine is leaking oil from the boot that covers the drive shaft where it attaches to the bottom of the crankcase and the rear arm. I'm not sure if it is motor oil or gear oil as I have not gotten a chance to see if either is draining. So my first question would be, do any of you know if it's engine related or rear diff related? Secondly, what would be the general process to replace whatever seal is leaking?

The oil is coming from the boot and hose clamp area that make up number 8 and number 10 on this diagram.

c3da84d876.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would try loosen the clamps and look inside with a flash light. The rear seals on the output shaft or the front diff seal could be bad and leaking. However, if you have crossed a creek/pond recently, water often gets into the diff by pushing in around the vent tube over filling it, it can also leak into the drive shaft housing around the boot on the swingarm itself. If that's the case let it dry out, replace your diff fluid and see if any other leaks develop.

I would try loosen the clamps and look inside with a flash light. The rear seals on the output shaft or the front diff seal could be bad and leaking. However, if you have crossed a creek/pond recently, water often gets into the diff by pushing in around the vent tube over filling it, it can also leak into the drive shaft housing around the boot on the swingarm itself. If that's the case let it dry out, replace your diff fluid and see if any other leaks develop.

Alright, will try that and see if it all leaks out again. If it does, looks like I gotta just dive in and take the rear axle off. Thanks.

You could also take a Q tip and dip it thru the diff fluid filler cap to see if the differential fluid is milky. If it is replace it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I finally got to tearing it down completely today. Took the rear axle right off.

570de54023.JPG

There was fluid leaking out of the differential at the front where it connects to the arm. I'm assuming that should not be the case?

97f66de596.JPG

So assuming it should not be leaking there, then am I correct in saying that o-ring #11 and oil seal #12 from this image should be replaced, and that should hopefully solve my problem?

124c34d586.jpg

Lastly, there was some kind of caulking or sealant where the diff met the rear arm that was worn out. I'm assuming it's to help keep a seal and that I should replace it. Anyone happen to know what that might be?

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah use some good rtv silicone between the diff and drives haft housing. Also, check the surface of the input shafts for scoring/wear, where the seal rides. Your right about the part numbers as well.

Back