2008 450 Rear Brake Issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife's Wolverine is having some rear brake issues. It started as a squeak that has progressively gotten worse. It also gets worse the longer you ride... say after about 10 mins. The rear caliper gets extremely hot (will burn your hand) and you can see the heat rising off it after 10-15 minutes of normal riding. So something is causing the caliper to stick as it gets hot. The pads are new and I have reinstalled them and cleaned all mud and dirt off the pins, pads, caliper etc. The brake fluid in the reservoir looks brand new and is not overfull.

Any ideas.

The brakes on these new ones suck. I usually clean them and use never sieze on the pins everytime before I ride. I just over winter rebuilt all the calipers and put new rotors on. I have to say they are never squeeky anymore.I do not use ebc prads either. I just use the semi metallic pads off ebay. The ebc wore down just as fast and destroyed the rotors too.

There is a bolt that comes into the caliper from the side - and is used when activating the parking brake - if this bolt is too tight, the parking brake never actually releases. Also, the parking brake cables have a tendencey to stick over time - a good flushing with cable lube can make a world of difference.

Many simply remove the parking brake cable all together and then back the parking brake actuator bolt out a bit so it can never touch.

I'll have to revisit my modification that swaps the brake cables to that the parking brake is connected to the foot brake, and the hand brake lever is connected to the parking brake actuator in the back. Since doing this, I have NEVER had the parking brake stick on.

There is a bolt that comes into the caliper from the side - and is used when activating the parking brake - if this bolt is too tight, the parking brake never actually releases. Also, the parking brake cables have a tendencey to stick over time - a good flushing with cable lube can make a world of difference.

Many simply remove the parking brake cable all together and then back the parking brake actuator bolt out a bit so it can never touch.

I'll have to revisit my modification that swaps the brake cables to that the parking brake is connected to the foot brake, and the hand brake lever is connected to the parking brake actuator in the back. Since doing this, I have NEVER had the parking brake stick on.

There is not a parking brake on the new ones. He has an 08.

I used the ebc pads on the rear and didn't notice they lasted longer/wore less but they were certainly less squeaky. Make sure you take that caliper apart and clean up everything well. Mine was sticking last fall. I did a small stretch of trail with it partially stuck and it got so hot it bent the rotor. Had to buy a new rotor as the old one is now shaped like a dinner plate, plus a set of pads.

I have replaced all my calipers and rotors with some off ebay. They are so much better than stock. $75 per caliper and $35 per for rotors. Both come with pads. The oem ones are absolutele crap.

Back