1992 Warrior 350 running extremely hot

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bird416

Reaction score
I have a 1992 Warrior which is perplexing me to quite a level. I replaced the clutch and put a new oem exhaust on around 3 years ago but I could never get it to run so I knew it needed some carb work. I ended up being busy and it sat in my garage up until early this year. My son became interested in it so he drained the tank and bought a new carb. It ran fine but just seemed a little down on power(which could have been that it has always had a cobra exhaust on it) and got extremely hot quickly. The clutch also was barely there; just enough at the end for it to shift. I found an older aftermarket clutch which I had bought ages ago so I did another clutch job and installed it but to no avail. Everything is correct; I went by the manuel and watched a number of videos so I'm not sure what is up with that but that isn't the main issue. The new plug in it ran white which is odd. The jet in the new carb is a 155 and the original had a 145. So I bought some jets and tried to jet it and it would run well with 162.5 but would bobble in mid to high rpms which i know is a sign if too big of a jet. At 160 it would run too hot but at 162.5 it is fine. Wack. My son then decided that since it is entirely stock and shouldn't run with this big of a jet that he would rebuild the original carb. It now runs woth a 145 but still hot and the air duel screw is almost all the way out just to run. It does the exact same thing with the 155 and is way off with the 157.5 and up jets. Does anyone have any idea what is happenning?

The quads do usually tend to run hot which is why a lot of us run oil coolers. Are you sure your quad is on stock compression? Have you tried a higher octane fuel?

I have not checked compression but I run 91 octane normally. I have never opened up the motor or touched it so it shouldn't have higher than normal compression. I also forgot to mention that sometimes I can see oil around the base of the head on the crank case. I do not believe that it necessarily needs an oil cooler, it got extremely hot in under a minute when I was messing with the air fuel.

Back