1987 Warrior 350: Confused about ignition coil wire

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting this free 1987 Warrior to run and currently there's no spark. After checking the ignition coil with the multimeter, it seemed to be the issue. I went to go take off the coil and noticed what I think is a ground wire connected down into a box below it, but I'm not sure if that's what it is. Then I pulled it out of its socket and I'm now wondering if that's actually what I was supposed to do.

To break it down:
What is that wire sticking out of the ignition coil and what is the box it's connected to?

Was I supposed to take it out of that socket like that or did I just break it?

Do I need to buy a new ignition coil with that same "ground wire"? The ones I've looked at online don't have the same wire coming out

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_165905482.jpg
    IMG_20220815_165905482.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220815_165639294.jpg
    IMG_20220815_165639294.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
that`s just an old style coil. the newer ones just have a male spade terminal to connect the orange wire to. all you have to do is change the connector from that to a female spade terminal and you`ll be good to go.

that`s just an old style coil. the newer ones just have a male spade terminal to connect the orange wire to. all you have to do is change the connector from that to a female spade terminal and you`ll be good to go.
Question though, if I cut the wire behind that rubber piece, then I won't have enough left to reach the ignition coil spade, would it be fine to solder a bit more wire to it and then connect the spade to that?

Hi @blackpanther300 , any updates on your Warrior?
Installed the new ignition coil and soldered a wire to extend the ground wire. Put a female quick disconnect on it and then connected that to the spade on the coil. Still no spark. The main fuse is good and I was looking for a manual for the 87 to do stator tests, but had no luck. I also wanted to test my ground wire to make sure it's working properly but I'm not sure how to do that. Know where I can find a manual? Or at least what I can do to test the stator on the 87

Clymer makes a good manual that has all the info you should need to check the stator.

Sorry, here's another, can you check it out? It's Clymer, the one mentioned by @ag2560 not sure if you've seen it.

Can you try this one? I think it's free and can be accessed online. Not sure if it's the right manual though.

Back