100hp 100mph Warrior,

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luscombe

Reaction score
I've been asked to start a thread about my Warrior and the engine swap I did over the last couple months. Here it is, a 1988 Warrior with a 2001 Yamaha R6 engine.
b1bfd9f4.jpg

I did a build thread on bluetraxx, but i think i'll hang out here for a while.
http://www.bluetraxx.com/forums/yam...ior-87-present/80702-building-r6-warrior.html

http://youtu.be/Pi8HEZgGXRg

http://youtu.be/tvfmMDR2Nsg

here are a couple facts about the quad.

12t-48t sprockets, 12t front sprocket was custom made by sidewinder $$$
-speed range 4km/hr (2.5mph) at idle in first gear, top speed of 170km/hr (108mph) I've only gone 150km/hr so far.
-the exhaust was made from the R6 header and 1.5" into a single 2" then a Hindle muffler.
-weight gain was about 60lbs all said and done.
-Stock R6 rad and fan, I made the mesh guard.
-3 gal aluminum air tank mounted under the seat as a fuel tank.
-the handle bar controls are all stock R6, along with the complete wiring harness.
-the airbox is the bottom 1/2 of the R6 box. I made top from carbon fiber and structural foam.
-the air filter sits just above the cylinder head and is a K&N.
-R6 fuel pump is mounted on the frame next to the rear break cylinder.
-the stock plastics all fit on but they had to be cut up to make room for the frame and airbox.
- the seat was shortened about 5" to make room for the airbox.
http://www.aperaceparts.com/tech/'00 YZFR6.html

Driving characteristics
- it has about the same feeling of power as a stock warrior at speeds below 15km/hr. Due to the low hp and TQ below 6000rpm.
-above 8-9000rpm the engine is VERY quick to rev, unreal acceleration in lower gears.
-it will wheelie in 1-2-3 and even forth if you give it a little pull, I refuse to "clutch" it up. Just a twist and that's it.
-quite controllable in tight trails, in 2-3 gear. 1st gear is a bit too violent to control.
-top speed in first gear is about 55km/hr (30mph)
-so far the brakes have worked just fine, it slows down reasonably well down shifting.
-traction is always a problem, dirt, grass, gravel or dusty pavement.

7852b0e0.jpg

96ed6bca.jpg

I'm working on a couple things right now, the rear end is getting new bearings, seas, axle (used), and sprocket hub(used). I'm doing all that because the splines on the sprocket hub were worn and started to skip.

I'm also trying to figure out how to wire in a tether switch. the switch i have makes contact when the "key" is removed. Problem is the R6 kill switch has 12V and cant be grounded. I'll have to wire in a two pole relay to cut the ignition if the bike gets away on me.

Tonight i also pulled the twist throttle apart to see if i could put a thumb throttle back on it. I may be able to get it to work but I don't think its a good idea now. Trying to open 4 butterflies with just your thumb is just to hard. It would be fine for a short drag race but almost impossible to deal with on the trail.

Feel free to ask any questions you like about the build. It took about 3 months working on it in my spare time. I dont have any extravagant tools or a big pile of money to burn on this toy. It will be a while before all the bugs are out but so far it works really well. It was built to use as a trail quad, its not all that pretty but sure has some attitude.

i have just little input on this:

for the sprocket hub it might help if you put some loctite type on the splines

kill switch could you not just wire it in to one side of r6's

for the thumb throttle there is a mod that might work ... its a 400ex housing with the trx90 leaver

Last edited:
Thats the first swapped warrior I've seen thats actually designed to still be used as a warrior (trails and such) props ;)

Welcome. Great build.

As far as your rear end goes :)gayfight: hahaha) you should really consider converting over to a honda style carrier. Have 87 build you one and add some length to it. and as far as your hub holding onto the axle splines, that engine is pumpin out way to much torque, perhaps drill a hole all the way through and slide in a pin to hole it all in place?

Would it be possible to set the stock tank cover back on it? Then it look like a real sleeper. Whats the air box look like now from the top?

I run the 400ex houseing with the 90ex lever, it helps, but to open 4 carb is a whole other box of worms. Perhaps you can find a duel gasser and see if that will work for you, you can switch back when your thumb gets tired.

That's AWESOME! when I saw the title I clicked so fast.

I got it all back together today and went out for a trail ride.
6a59fb0a.jpg

A couple walk around pics.
1913783e.jpg

The Moose racing nerf bars i found at a local SCRAP yard, I paid $5 for them. I welded a couple pieces of tube to the frame and to the foot rest bracket and cut a notch in the aluminum pegs so they fit just right. Took about an hour to finish the job last week.
364bb3f2.jpg

d981d332.jpg

23360ef1.jpg

ddfa8d3f.jpg

9f4d864c.jpg

Driving characteristics
-quite controllable in tight trails, in 2-3 gear. 1st gear is a bit too violent to control.
-traction is always a problem, dirt, grass, gravel or dusty pavement.

I dont have any extravagant tools or a big pile of money to burn on this toy. It will be a while before all the bugs are out but so far it works really well. It was built to use as a trail quad, its not all that pretty but sure has some attitude.

Sounds like the perfect homebuilt Hot Rod sleeper to me!
Congratulations on assembling a clean, well engineered package. Impressive, I like it a lot! :tup:

I thought really hard about dropping an R6 motor in my 87'. But wanted something lighter, and easier to work on. So I went with a 2 stroke..
Very nice build though.. It looks like it would be a handful.. lol

Thanks for the complements guys!

To tell the truth, my first few rides it scared the **** out of me. I'm getting more used to it every time I go out for a ride. Trying to relax and just use my ass on the seat to stay on rather then just a death grip. It was also a really hard on my arms to hold on, I could only ride it for about 20 min at a time. Like riding a motocross bike, you cant just hold on with your hands.

As for how it handles in the woods. Its not that much different then riding a Warrior with a stock engine. When your riding over small whoops or bumps in the woods that you can carry the front tires from top to top with a bit of power. The big engine on my bike lets me lift the front end any time I want. The only problem with that is if you give it to much it lift the front too high and you risk going over. The same goes for turning and being able to kick the back end out, on a normal warrior you only have a limited ability to spin. I was going around a long sweeping curve on the outside of a field today at about 50-60mph. Just drop a gear and twist, it spins. There I was doing about 70mph riding flat track style. I look forward to getting better as a rider.

A friend of mine has a nice KX450 and a gopro camera, I'll try to make a video of some trail riding.

It swims!! spent a couple hours one the trail with a friend and his Suzuki 450. Here is a really short clip of me crossing a small creek. Sorry it looks like crap it was shop with my phone.

Click on Pic to see the Vid

Last edited:
ive watched this thing run on a bluetraxx video awhile back,or u tube i cant remember. you were in a field and pulling power wheelies with ease! mad props man! that thing sounds awesome when it comes on...and holy shitballs fast. I WANT ONE! but im sure the hospital would get most of the cash after i wiped out! lol!

Super wicked ride! Widen it out a little, maybe an extended swinger, and thats a beast for sure.

I have a 02 swap r6 warrior as well that I got off a trade & I’m having a fuel issue that I think may be the fuel pump, what fuel pump are you running ? The slides are not moving to allow fuel in, im missing the stock air box & I believe they work off vacuum, did u block off the 2 breather tubes that would go the the air box? I disassembled the carbs all my jets are clear and my diaphragms are in good condition, note that the bike will run and idle if a bit of fuel is sprayed into intakes of the carbs but then dies

Attachments

• IMG_4872.MOV
    38 MB
Back