Project Bear Tracker Restoration

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YAMAHAULER

Reaction score
figured I'd post this as a build thread/resto project

Just picked this 2004 Yamaha Bear Tracker 250 up last night needs a carb cleaning and eventually a top end rebuild but not a bad deal at $200
over all it's a really solid machine besides the sun baked plastics it's complete and everything works will be a fun project come spring

Well decided to tinker with it a bit so I pulled the gas tank so I could pull the carb to clean it and found the intake manifold boot had separated in half which would explain the high idle when I started it 2 days ago so need to order a new intake boot
carb was full of slimy green ****

Carb All clean,rebuilt and ready

I have a pair of good front tires on hold from Lloyd
and will be ordering a UNI filter and some new grips for it within the next week
found a really nice seat for it also on ebay

still trying to find a good set of rear tires 22x10x10 or 22x11x10 hit me up if you have a pair

and debating on weather to restore the plastics or possibly paint them(not sure yet)
then eventually I will be doing a .020 wiseco top end rebuild on it
I suppose they don't make a stage 1 HC for it hey?
and it will be getting a winch installed on it also

got the new intake for the Bear Tracker gonna install it along with the clean carb and tank tomorrow and fire her up!

While waiting for the weather to warm up I decided to start restoring the plastic on the tank cover for the Bear Tracker
Keep in mind this is by hand with a rag and Meguiar's PLASTX gone over it twice so far
if you look at the first pic on the 1st page you'll see how much better it is with only 2 passes.I think if I get a small power buffer I'll be able to get it looking like new again.

So I installed the new intake on the bear tracker today along with the carb and she fired right up runs good sounds like I need to adjust the valves a little but it runs great! Only thing I found out while driving it around was only the left rear wheel has power to it come to find out the rear brake drums splines are stripped but the axle splines are fine so I just ordered an good used drum for it as for the plastics the tank looks great but I have a lot of work to do on the rest so I'm gonna get a small power or air buffer to speed things up a bit (if anyone knows what works best let me know)

It's ALIVE!!!! click on pic for video. Not bad for $200 and just cleaning the carb

did a little heat gun action on the bear tracker plastics and got rid of the white oxidation now comes the fun part of buffing

before

after

had to pull the tank and drain it cause the petcock was leaking like a siv so ordered a new one along with a carb kit and will be adjusting the valves from what I've looked up the intake should be between .002 - .005 and exhaust between .005 - .008 so I think intake at .003 and exhaust at .006 should be good

Thanks Lloyd also gotta replace the rear axle bearings and seals to got a brand new set came with the quad when I picked it up

Ed you done a awesome job on those plastics, Meguiars stuff is amazing by far my favorite cleaning products.

thanks Tim but thats just the first step with the heat gun I still have to buff them out with the Meguiar's PlastX
Oh yeah the new rear brake drum assembly came today also splines fit nice and tight on the axle so tomorrow or Sunday I will see if I can get the rear axle bearings out and get the new ones in any tips on getting the old bearings out of the axle and rear differential?

Try buffing your plastic with a new clean wool pad...no chemicals....it takes a while but will make your plastics look new

Thanks Geees
Was able to get the rear axle pulled and all bearings and seals replaced in the rear end today and back together she nice and tight now lol
still waiting on the new petcock and carb rebuild kit should be here Monday and it's suppose to be 46 degrees then too so nice to see this ******* snow melt away.

Another productive day on the Bear Tracker
Plastics completely restored
front bumper and front & rear racks redone

Still on the to do list are
change oil & filter
rebuild carb
replace petcock
high temp header & muffler
power wash frame and motor
spray a fresh coat of black on frame,A-arms & axle
replace tires
new seat cover