357 MAGNUM (02 motor build) Reincarnation of #5 The 357 build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YAMAHAULER

Reaction score
Figured I'd get my motor build started since it is my winter project.

motor is tore down and ready for the build in basement
The operating table Lol!
2012-12-03235442.jpg

gonna be going with the 84mm Wiseco 10.25:1 piston kit and Cometic gaskets
stock crank and jug will be going to my local shop for rebuild and bore & hone and head will be getting a mild p&p to compliment ???? stay tuned for more......

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get the deck set or drop the jug! Puts compression at 11.02:1! Otherwise your motor sounds a lot like my motor before tore it down

You should get the deck set or drop the jug! Puts compression at 11.02:1! Otherwise your motor sounds a lot like my motor before tore it down

you mean base gasket delete? and can I still run pump gas like 92 octane with 11.02:1 comp?

I'm gonna be running the WEB .390/.390 cam

Last edited:
Yep, provided Wiseco got their ratio right with their 10.25:1 rating, dropping the jug gasket you loose a little less then 3cc (2.6cc) in chamber size so that bumps it from 10.25:1 to 11.018 or 11.02:1 or just 11:1 how ever you want to round it.

Other than the added comp. Why run without base gasket? I, too think that sounds pretty sketchy!

Other than the added comp. Why run without base gasket? I, too think that sounds pretty sketchy!
using RTV in place of the base gasket is a common thing for us guys since we dont have the piston selection that other quads. Apparently Weston just decided to do the math and figure out what it would be bumped up to.

Humm i work on cars and say if it had a gasket put one back in its place, i have found to many times if you dont then intime things happen,,,,

Humm i work on cars and say if it had a gasket put one back in its place, i have found to many times if you dont then intime things happen,,,,

Agreed. I'm still leary about doing it. I've been thinking about doing it on the stroker, and getting 11.25:1 outta it. The base gasket is more to keep the splash oil from the crank from leaking out. All the pressurized oil from the top end oil galley is sealed with an o-ring between the cylinder and crankcase, and by another between the cylinder and head. Some good high temp rtv will work, just like it does on transfer case halfs.

The only thing that makes it iffy is that your prep job needs to be as good as you can have it or you will hive a extremely minor oil leak on the front left head bolt, but ive seen more gaskets leak there then silicone does. Im building a 11.6:1 motor running2 jug gaskets to lower comp from 12:1. Otherwise I would build the same motor again.

well boys I have officially scrounged up all the parts to finally get this build finished only thing left to do when the piston gets here is have the jug bored & honed and she can start going back together hahaha!

Hey hauler what happens when the next rebuild comes round? If ya bore it it won't be a 357!!! :eek:hno:

Then it goes .050/359
but it more than likely won't be needing another rebuild after this in my lifetime

some of the final pieces to the build! and the crank is in the shop getting rebuilt, only thing left is to bore & hone the jug to match the 84mm piston then we can slap it all together!

IMG-20130211-WA0011.jpg

Back