Oil leaking near Starter

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seek007

Reaction score
Oil drops accumulate underneath the starter and dip onto the frame and ground. I can't seem to see where it is leaking from. Where in this area could the oil be coming from?

Also, I changed the oil filter and oil and it's not leaking as a steady drip anymore but is definitely still leaking. Clean oil is now all over the frame under the starter. I put in 1 qt. lucas and 2 qts yamalube 20-50 to help slow the leaking which has worked but not solved the problem.

Also, when i drained the oil, the compression spring and oil strainer were absent, and the ring seal was cracked, should i try to get these parts from yamaha? Obvisously someone didn't replace them and it's been running for a long while without them. Thanks.

2 places to look for your leak are the starter itself as if memory serves me right there is an oring on the end and the base gasket of the jug. Only other place it could be leaking from is where the cases split.

You might be right 98warrior but I got the same issue I got a leak to have u tried to see if its leaking from ur nutrel switch that's were my leak is coming from an it sweats when the engine is warm same thing oil all over the bottom of my motor just something to look into seek007 hope this helps!

Lol I just found there was some oil under my starter just a drip on it so I'm gona see when I get it warm again if it leaks from my starter to but I deff know I got a leak at my nutrel switch 23$bucks to replace it:)

Starter Oil Leak

I have the same exact problem with my bike as well. Oil has been collecting on the bottom of my starter and dripping constantly. But i have not yet found my solution. From what my understanding is, and someone please correct me if im wrong, there shouldnt be any oil in the jug where the starter goes, i had just taken my starter out and oil just started pouring out. Now if this is the case and oil should not be there i was thinking it might be a bad seal on the crankshaft.

there should be oil in there but if the oil is pouring out when you pulled the starter out then it has too much oil in it or the quad isn't sitting level

Last edited:
2 places to look for your leak are the starter itself as if memory serves me right there is an oring on the end and the base gasket of the jug. Only other place it could be leaking from is where the cases split.

It could also be leaking from the exhaust valve cover and dripping down on to the starter something to check also

Got the same leak neutral switch can u just buy the washer or do have get both if it’s leaking from neutral switch

Back