Warrior/Raptor 350 Oil cooling

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathShadow

Reaction score
+--------------------------------------------------------------
| Title: Warrior oil cooling system application
|
| Date: 01/30/05
|
| Author: DeathShadow/Doug Maso
+--------------------------------------------------------------

[Index]

+ Document overview
+ Cooling anaylysis
+ Big Bear 95' items & needed parts
+ How to
+ Hayden cooler review
+ Quick Review of the tapped case design
+ Conclusion

- Document Overview:

Well I decided to make this kind of a short tutorial & review since many questions come about regarding this topic and the hardware for it. There is a cheaper method used to do this in which you tap the clutch cover into the galley but I believe this way is more safe and just better because this design compliments and goes along with Yamaha's original cooling systems for the Big Bear and other quads. This document will go over cooling systems usable on the Warrior and will also include a product review of a specific cooler (yes there will be pictures mmm).

- Cooling analysis:

As mentioned above there are two primary ways in use as of now implemented to run an oil cooling system on the warrior. To better explain how this works it helps to get down to how each system differentiates and compares. The first system im going to address is using 95' Yamaha Big bear direct bolt on parts to get the oil out of the case and up through our custom cooling system.

For comparison here is a Yamaha Warrior blue print diagram of the Oil management system. Take note to the areas on this 2D diagram since you will be using it to compare to a big bear blue print next.

warrior.gif

Now... The next image is a 95' Big Bear blue print image; look how you can apply these cooling system parts in the red box to the warrior - a direct bolt on!!

bigbear.gif

You will need to buy pretty much all the parts in the above red box on the chart/blueprints. These prices are quoted from an online site, its cheaper do go through your local dealer (I paid $100.00 even for everything). Here is a list of the '95 Big Bear parts you will need:

1995 Big Bear parts list:

1. Plate, Adaptor (Reference #14) - $65.00 USD
2. Plug (Reference #15) - $1.50 USD
3. Spring, Compression (Reference #16) - $1.07 USD
4. Washer, (Reference #17) - $0.21 USD
5. Circlip, (Reference #18) - $0.42 USD
6. Cover, Oil Element (Reference #19) - $22.00 USD
7. 2x Joint (Reference #20) *OPTIONAL* - $13.00 USD
8. 2x Gasket (Reference #21) - $1.65 USD
9. 2x O-Ring (Reference #22) - $2.75 USD
10. Bolt, Hex socket head (Reference #23) - $1.79 USD
11. 2x Bolt (Reference #24) - $2.67 USD

Other Needed Parts:

1. A cooler (Hayden or Permacool) - $29.00 - $39.00
2. Teflon Tape - $1.25
3. 2x 3/8" x 1/4" Barbed hose adapters - $1.60 each (Home Depot plumbing section)
4. 10' of 3/8" Oil hose (1$ a foot) - $10.00

*Your cooling kit comes with hose clamps and mounting materials.

*This entire project will cost around $155.00 for brand new parts.

Here is how you will mod your element cover to accept the hoses for the cooler. Shown here are two barbed hose fittings (3/8" x 1/4") they can be purchased at your local Home Depot in the plumbing section for $1.60 each. Behind these fittings are the copper "gaskets" shown on the previous page charts/blue prints as Ref#21. Then finally the threads should be man handled with a good amount of Teflon tape for a nice seal. The barbs are then tightened down very snugly onto the copper gasket with a deep socket and socket wrench accordingly.

barbson.JPG

Below is a close up view of a barbed hose fitting.
fitting.JPG

Although not a picture of my quad here is how the parts are applied:

upclose.jpg

So just to recap you simply bolt the parts on over where the oil filter cap is, securely attach oil hose to the barbed fittings, & finally we run the hose up to the cooler and attach there - That is it!

- Hayden cooler review:

The cooler that I use is a Hayden part #401 Tranny oil cooler; this cooler fits PERFECT under the hood (5" wide 11" long) of the warrior and drops the temp of the oil up to 50*F!! This cooler also does not break the bank like some people would expect; you can buy this baby from AutoZone directly or their website for $29.00!!

Here are some images of the cooler and the packaging itself:

coolerpic1.jpg

coolerpic2.jpg

coolerpic3.jpg

This cooler was a great buy, it is built strong, cools VERY well, and is light.

- Quick Review of the tapped case design:

MANY MANY people sell these kits and they are really not worth it. There are lots of mixed opinions about this method but they both have there pluses and minuses; here is a pic of this type of kit:

tapkit.JPG

As you can see the cooler in this one is much smaller and you are required to drill into the oil galley through your clutch cover. While the other method may be more expensive if you mess up your clutch cover it will cost even more; I also think it’s a good idea to cool the quad with the design Yamaha intended.

- Conclusion:

Well here is the cooler that I use - A Hayden Part #401 Tranny Oil cooler. This cooler performs very well and I noticed a very big difference with this mod on the bike; you can tell its well needed cause the cooler will get very hot sometimes so you know it is helping. So keep your clutch and crank cool, extend your engine life, and retain HP by adding a cooling system to your Warrior. Instead of using the rubber oil hoses you could go steel braided lines and make it look even more cool guy X_X!

*If any one has any questions feel free to ask me.

i REALLY want this setup but i think i may have to drill holes in my clutch cover :'(...my ex direct shifter is deff gonna get in the way..ill get pics up tomaro so you can tell me what you think

Well we( Me and Death) have been on the hunt for a cooler that will work with the Rappy 350, and found that permacool makes a "atv oil cooler"Part #1008, which would work perfectly, the size is a little smaller then the hayden cooler, making it easier to fit. Doing some more reseach, i found permacool also sells a "compact power steering/fuel cooler" part #1007, which is the same exact cooler as the atv oil cooler, only exception is the core size, 11/32 for #1008, 3/8 for #1007. The best part was they are asking $50 bucks for the atv cooler, and $38 for the fuel cooler, and the fuel cooler flows better due to the 1/32 bigger core size. One quick call to summitracing's tech line and i got a "wtf, ******* permacool.............Oh ****, sorry for cursing" and i was sold, Here are the specs for the #1007 cooler:
cooler.jpg

Brand: Perma-Cool Industries, Inc.
Product Line: Perma-Cool Compact Fluid Coolers
Overall Height (in): 5
Overall Width (in): 7 1/2
Overall Thickness (in): 3/4
Cooler Construction: Tube and fin
Cooler Material: Aluminum
Inlet Size: 3/8 in.
Inlet Attachment: Hose barb
Outlet Size: 3/8 in.
Outlet Attachment: Hose barb
Number of Cooling Rows: 4
Core Height (in): 5
Core Width (in): 4 3/4
Core Thickness (in): 3/4
Cooler Finish: Natural

Be sure your performance ride is cool.

Fluid Cooler, Power Steering, Tube and Fin, Natural, Aluminum, 5 in. x 7 1/2 in. x 3/4 in., Each

Perma-Cool compact fluid coolers are designed to work with multiple automotive fluids. They're ideal for just about any application where a smaller cooler is needed. They can be used as power steering coolers, to help prevent premature power steering pump failure. Unless otherwise noted, the coolers come with hose, instructions, and mounting hardware.

As you can see its a perfect cooler for use in an atv, enough so that permacool sells the same cooler with smaller cores (less flow) specifically for ATV's.

Here's the actual cooler:
cooler1.jpg

Heres everything included with the kit:
prm-1007_w.jpg

How i mounted the cooler:
oilcooler.jpg

upclose.jpg

brackets.jpg

Hope this helps
-VelociRaptor350

Someday im gonna get mine on like this, i bought the cooler already, but like i told some of you the guy on ebay screwed me, otherwise it would be going on right now. But i will get one eventually. :cool:

Great bro, its one of the best mods ive done so far, you really begin to notice it when your late into a ride and your tranny's not acting up.

I'm new to ATV modding and i'm always worried i'm going to do something dumb to cause more harm than good. This is a simple bolt on mod that looks very simple to do. I want to give it a try but I have a few questions first.

How does this engine flow oil? Will the top end (or any other area) of the engine be short of oil while the lines/cooler fills with oil?

Is there any chance the Big Bear has a bigger/stronger oil pump that could make the system not have enough oil pressure to support the cooler?

Should I be running the normal amount of oil in the ATV?

Does anyone have any pictures/stories of the way they mounted their cooler?

Thanks

The motors are the same so don't worry about oil starvation to the top end, You neeto run more oil so that it fills the lines, etc. Mine uses about 3.2 quarts of oil now instead of 3. The only major change you have to make is bend the shifter out it will clear the new cap and adapter. IT mounts just like the pictures in this thread, you basically take the oil filter cap off, install the adapter plate, install the cap, and run the lines to the cooler.

Yeah thats it, the only major difference between the #1007 and #1008 is a 1/32 larger core size, a 3/8 hose will slip right on to that, you didn't order anything wrong, thats the same one i used.

the gods are shinning on me today, i stumbled across this sight and im in love!!! this was waht ive been looking for... i bought that retarted kit of e-bay, and for now im gona make that small ass cooler work with the BigBear adapter,i just wana tank you guys for posting all of those ideas, links and pics. i will keep you guys updated on my 95 warrior, and ill learn how to do the posting... thank you agen... life savers!!! lol

Here's a good pic of how to route the lines and also where to make the cuts in the fender, I was always asked about that one:

oillinerouting5lf.jpg

The oil cooler made a massive difference on my bike. She shifts smoothly on the most hot/torturing conditions now and dropped the oil id say a good 40*F if not more. Just by dropping the temperature in the bike 20 degrees it’s known to double the life of your internals!! This mod also looks great and is just an easy not to expensive worth while investment.

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. I can't wait and try it out. This mod would definitely be trick and there's not to many warriors / raptor 350's that have this

Back