Looking for opinions on a good first truck

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old 93, I miss this one
silverados.jpg

olpiece2.jpg

My 2000, love this truck
a037011e25c9ac31a95be6d02254f734_zps664e2a25.jpg

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. Im rulling out Toyotas due to the frame. Im going to look at a 1989 Silverado standard cab short box in mint condition, the guy wants $4800 obo but I would like to pay 4000 or less. Or there is a 1992 sierra ss standard cab short box for $4500

Don't go with Ford for Damn sure I got a 93 Ford ranger as my first truck(I'm 15). I've driven it 4 miles just for fun it needs a flywheel I just put a brand new starter on it new fuel fill hose 1 coolant hose driver mirror driverside window crank still needs a stereo I hate Ford at this point also new rear suspension the truck has 87,xxx miles on it

Don't go with Ford for Damn sure I got a 93 Ford ranger as my first truck(I'm 15). I've driven it 4 miles just for fun it needs a flywheel I just put a brand new starter on it new fuel fill hose 1 coolant hose driver mirror driverside window crank still needs a stereo I hate Ford at this point also new rear suspension the truck has 87,xxx miles on it

Age kills a vehicle just as much, if not more, then milage. Regardless of make.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I found a good deal. On a one owner 1998 sierra 1500 with only 145,000 miles and I bought it. It only has one issue , abs how do I go about fixing that?

BF55DA85-7D06-41FF-BC4B-A7D34A7A1861_zpstmljdjit.jpg
[/URL]
788B9F65-3D05-454C-8889-876D30A9BEE8_zps3swvmpgx.jpg
[/URL]

Are the ABS and BRAKE lights on? If so, most likely problem is the EBCM. They are common on MANY GM and Dodge trucks. Get the ABS codes and go from there. Could be a bad speed sensor, or, ABS sensor.

Are the ABS and BRAKE lights on? If so, most likely problem is the EBCM. They are common on MANY GM and Dodge trucks. Get the ABS codes and go from there. Could be a bad speed sensor, or, ABS sensor.

Just the abs light is on

Take it to nearest auto parts place and have them hook up their code reader thing for free is what I would do. My car has the ABS light on and its because it needs new ABS sensors but they're pretty expensive. Doesn't hurt to drive without them as long as you realize that if you start sliding (Which you shouldn't as long as you're not messing up) your ABS isn't going to save you... I just always drive super cautiously in the rain. Although they're good to have if you end up needing them ;).
Doesn't look like a bad truck though. Especially if you got it for a good price. Congrats!

My truck doesn't have abs period. You don't need it. You just can't steer when you lock up the front wheels.

I'd bet it's the rear wheel sensor. They get dirty and foul easy. The same one has been out on my 96 6.5td for the last 100K miles or so. (Truck has 296K just needs new shoes!)

I'd bet it's the rear wheel sensor. They get dirty and foul easy. The same one has been out on my 96 6.5td for the last 100K miles or so. (Truck has 296K just needs new shoes!)

Are they part of the wheel bearings like some vehicles or can it be replaced individually?

His should only be rear abs because its a drum brake rear. And the Soren sensor is on the rear diff really it's nothing to worry about.

Back