Crate Warrior re-visited

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bart

Reaction score
It's been a while, I finally have a chance to mess with the warrior again. Last I remember it runs , but with a leaky carb , and it seems it does not accelerate well. It has to be eased into, like an accelerator pump isn't working. I have searched for pics and instructional tutorials, but can't find one detailed enough to use. I do think something is wrong with the carb and I have taken it off to look into. I will try to post some pics, but I remember having trouble with this before.

View attachment 1724

View attachment 1725

View attachment 1726

View attachment 1727

View attachment 1728
2014-09-13%2019.04.02%20-%20Shortcut.lnk
o k the accelerator pump rod wasn't even being touched by the plastic arm that is raised or pushed by a cam attached to the rod that the butterfly is attached to, did that make sense? I must have pieces missing. I don't understand a green rubber plunger type boot that is on the top of the rod either. nevertheless it does not get pumped at all even at wide open throttle.

Last edited:
then the rod must be stuck all the way down in the bowl there is a spring in the bowl where the rod plunger goes into change that spring out with a click pen spring and make sure the rod moves freely up and down in the hole in bowl then you should be good

IDK what mods you have, but your main jet is a 140. Might need a bigger one. Stock is 145

yeah I saw that also, I thought 140 seemed small. I tried the spring change, it does give it some push now. It must have been stuck down. I have a stock air intake , stock exhaust, I guess ive been running it without a filter since I haven't taken it anywhere, but will be putting stock filter on. It does have a high compression piston but stock bore. I should just go with the stock jet sizes right? I'm not sure what was done with this carb.

Anyone got a diagram of where these other jets are? couldn't I just bore them out myself? I'm not sure what units they are measured in either. Are jets universal or do different makes not interchange? I haven't done much inside carbs. I saw a post earlier about jetting carbs but it wasn't clear at the time, ill check that out again , now that I've gotten into it.

For that matter it may not even be the right carb at all. I'll have to look into this.

That is the factory stock warrior 36mm btm mikuni carb
The pilot is forward of the main jet down inside that hole and the needle is in the slide

They are in mm
Your safer buying new oem jets don't attempt to bore them out you'll just have more issues than you want

So I went to a local Yamaha shop to check on a new main jet. The service guys acted like they didn't want to look at anything or tell me anything about it. I had to ask several times if I could buy the jet even. They kept saying I needed a serial number from the frame even though I kept telling them it probably wasn't the original carb or motor. They gave every excuse in the world saying there were multiple carbs it could be and just acted like it was impossible to get any parts or info on this carb. They acted like they couldn't even get specs on a warrior and I know that isn't true because I've seen a lot of info on this site already. Finally the guy comes back with a kit including jets , springs , needle jet, jet needle, and gaskets/ O rings. I never could get an answer on if there needed to be plunger seal or something like that for the accelerator pump. I saw in a post on here that there is supposed to be an accordion shaped boot. There is a light green rubber boot that fits on top of the rod but it does not have a hole in it to go down the rod to seal the opening between the plunger and top of carb. They also said the 140 jet did not make any difference and the pilot was ok if the bike idled at all. I don't really want to rebuild the carb if it doesn't need it. Perhaps fixing that spring on the plunger was enough to stop the gas leaking upwards from the accelerator pump? it will hold it tight to the top when it isn't being pushed down. I'm not exactly clear on how to take all of that stuff apart properly anyway. I will just put it back together and give it a cleaning with xylene and see what happens. In the mean time anyone have any suggestions? I am going to try a site given to me from an Arctic Cat forum. I also have a 650V2 4X4. the site is : mymowerparts.com or something like that. They have free manuals you can download.

I put it all back together after cleaning it some with xylol/xylene. It runs much better, takes gas pretty good, seems to have excellent power. It does cut out really bad and backfire, not at full throttle but when the engine winds up to higher rpms, usually the throttle is already open full before then. I never did find out for sure if it had the vitos key in it, but it runs really good and strong until it hits that rpm. I may change the plug, I forget if I have done that yet. Maybe it is that smaller jet starving it.

I know warriors are pretty fast out of the box. I'm sure it would smoke a 300EX. What exactly is it classed as anyway? Just a sporty ATV for easy riding and some speed if you want it? It isn't really a racer is it?

If you need to buy jets, go to jetsrus.com and pick up some genuine mikuni jets. They have every size you'll ever need and I recommend picking up a few for tuning purposes. They ship fast too, I think I got mine within 3-4 days or ordering.

I need to get a few pics up, but they aren't anything really impressive. So anyone got any suggestions on why it cuts out at upper rpms ? Is it a to small main jet?

The way I understood it , the jet would cause it to stumble upon opening the throttle (WOT). This doesn't do it directly when I open the throttle but after when it reaches higher rpms. I don't think I'm over revving, it doesn't seem to be enough for a rev limiter to be causing it. it does backfire and die though.

Back