1996 Warrior Project

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior1996

Reaction score
Well this build log is starting a little late, but better now than never. I bought this 1996 Warrior during the summer for $400. It was mostly together and in really good shape, but had a broken camshaft. The guy gave me a box of parts and some truck bed ramps. Here is what it looked like when I unloaded it from the truck.

After looking it over more, I found that I had almost the price I payed for the bike in aftermarket parts, the maxxis rzr 2 tires, k&n filter, renthal bars, and bumper. My dad (who picked the bike up for me and has helped me with putting the bike back together) and I started looking into the problem with the camshaft. I'd explain the problem, but pictures do a better job.

This is the broken camshaft.

Here is the out of adjustment exhaust rocker arm.

We also looked at the piston surface and valves to make sure everything was ok, and it seemed to check out.

So next came the time to order parts. Again a BIG thanks to oldwarriorrider for sending me a new stock camshaft for free. I also picked up a new timing chain, ignition, head gaskets, and my dad had my timing chain sprocket fixed.

Then school and since it is my senior year, and I play soccer, I was really busy. So my quad sat and sat all of the fall season. Eventually, all the chaos stopped though, and finally my dad and I had time to finish the assembly. Upon replacement of the timing chain, metals chips were found in the oil from the broken camshaft. We flushed the case multiple times, and put it all back together. I stole the battery from the old moto 4 and once we tried to start it up, it ran very poorly. I ordered a carb kit and after re-installing the carb, she fired right up. These following pictures were taken today after I installed one of my Christmas presents, tusk nerf bars.

I now have a few hours on my warrior. I took it out once before the snow hit and I think 2 or 3 times now in the snow. This weekend it rained so I really couldn't ride but I will be during the week now that I'm off of school. So now my new build log is up to date. Thanks for reading my thread and I'm sure more will be added soon. Merry Christmas!

Thanks for all the compliments guys. This isn't really an update on the bike, but I have a video from Jan 2 of my brother and I riding. Figured I'd show you guys, you can't really hear much because the camera was inside the house, but I didn't want to take it outside. That problem is now fixed though because my helmet camera finally came in the mail. I got a killer deal on this thing ($130 camera for only $40 new) and it's suppose to be really good, so hopefully I can get some better videos up soon.

Video: just click the pic.
(Camera zooms in after the 2:00 min mark so you can see better)

New Helmet Cam:
(Polaroid XS80)

Last edited:
Well it finally started to warm up here, and my bike was due for an oil change. I got some rotella t6, seems like it's the oil a lot of people run, figured I'd give it a try. Opened up the filter to see what it's like and man was I surprised. Take a look.

My guess is that I was running too heavy of an oil during the winter. I rode in negative degree weather and never thought about crushing my oil filter. Anyway, I know better now. If anybody has a better explanation to why it happened, please tell me.

Here's a few more pics just because.

Good choice on the Rotella!! I use to run Amsoil but our local dealer called it quits and now all I use is T6.

So which oil should I run? I haven't put it in yet, I still need a filter. Which is better, I read the synthetic was the good stuff to use. I believe t6 only comes in 5w-40, but I here a lot of people use it with good results. I think I'll just try it anyway. Also, what type of oil filters do you guys run? I'm thinking of buying a reusable style so its stronger and filters better. Thanks for the input.

No the white T most people use including myself is 15w40. I buy at Walmart cheap

Last edited:
You mentioned that the oil would be thin for the summer, but both oils the T and the T6 are rated 40 at operating temperature, so please explain?

The lower the viscosity, the more wear will inevitably occur.

They both operate at 40, but one cold flows at 5 and the other at 15, for these engines and how they operate, you need a baseline thickness to keep everything properly lubed. 5 doesn't have the film strength to prevent engine wear especially on cold or low lever sitting oil start-ups.

So should I return it and get the 15w-40, or you think it'll be fine for the warmer weather?

Got my new oil filter in the mail today. I'm going to finish the oil change tomorrow. I'm just going to run the 5w-40 T6 and see how I like it. Maybe next oil change I'll try the 15w-40 regular stuff.

Oh and if you guys have any advice on jetting please chime in. I'm running all stock jets and settings in the carb. I have a stock pipe and k&n filter. My plug says I'm running lean. What should I do to fix it? Would moving the needle clip down one be a enough to fix the problem or should I get a bigger jet? I'm new to this whole jetting thing so any input is appreciated.

Back