87 Warrior issues

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beffjall

Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

New to the forums, and new to the warrior. I've been riding street bikes and dirt bikes for quite some time, all Yamaha of course <3 lol.

Anyways, picked up a 87 warrior in really good shape for $250. Previous owner was original owner. Said he replaced the carb, because the old one was rusted from sitting, after that he couldn't get it to run right. He threw on a ZOOMZoom carb, and replaced the intake boot.

Now onto the issues.... the bike doesn't wanna idle at all... until it gets warm, and then it just wants to peg itself out. Adjusting idle screw does nothing, I've cleaned carb, no change. Where should I look next? Or should I try a different carb?
EDIT: It also seems to be backfiring through the carb. Gets a puff kick back every now and then. Considering bent valve?

I just wanna have some fun on this thing already. Thanks in advance!:argh:

Last edited:
check the intake boot for cracks for starters... sounds like an air leak... does it get hot fast?

edit: could also be the seal between the boot and the head or around the carb

Last edited:
I i sprayed carb cleaner all around the motor, no change...the intake boot gasket to head was trash, I plastered it up with some rtv as a temp fix, with no luck.

hmm so after its warm can you adjust the idle and make it calm down? are you using the choke to start it and warm it up or just the throttle? most people here are loving the zoom zoom carb, some hate it. i have a zoom zoom, but it has stock jets in it. stock jets may be a thing worth trying

Idle screw does nada while cold or warm. Disassembled carb completely and cleaned it all. Lived up the slide because I thought maybe it was sticking when warm.

When it's warm, gotta hold brake and let out clutch to calm rpms down. It'll settle for a second and then shoot back up.

While I had the intake boot off, I shoved my finger in and the valve seemed fine, and no crazy carbon build up on valve seat. I don't know what else to do, other than snagging amother carb since they are cheap and start from there

Check your valve timing. Sometimes they will "hunt" just like a lean condition when the valve timing is off. If that don't fix it then I'd look at the jets. I've heard quite a bit that the zoom zoom carbs are good but you have to use Mikuni jets.

Valve timing as in the cam timing?

I know the clearance is right, but I can't get that darn cap off for the crank marking. Is there any trucks for it?

Well, appears to be carb.

Realized the over flow was pissing gas...plugges it with my finger and everything was fine until it flooded out... then removed finger and she started back up just fine.

Well, appears to be carb.

Realized the over flow was pissing gas...plugges it with my finger and everything was fine until it flooded out... then removed finger and she started back up just fine.

Did you fix it? Sticking float valve or misadjusted float height

Back