Changing tires

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bart

Reaction score
I can't believe this is happening but I'm going to post a question on here asking how to break the bead down on a set of rims to change tires , lol.
I have a blaster (as well as a warrior) that I want to swap some tires on. The rims currently have holeshots that are worn out so I found a junk quad with decent tires to swap over. The problem is that the holeshots do not want to come off. There is a ring just inside the bead that will not let me break the tire down. I managed to get one side broke down with a C clamp but can't get the other side. The other rims do not have that ring, it's sorta like a bead lock I guess.
I'm trying to think of a tool I can fab or a way to break the beads easier. I have a few hydraulic jacks but just can't figure out a good way to harness the force I need and I have to figure out a way to not just have it roll down the side of the tire. So far I haven't found a good round piece of metal to push down on the bead with either.
Any suggestions? I mean besides just going to a shop?

either get you a bog ,etal piece of pipe like 9" or whatever will fit over the wheel and catch the tire and press it off or if you have a buddy with a heavy diesel pickup he can drive over the tire right next to the wheel and that normally pops em off ( be warrned if you do it that way put something under it to keep from scratching up the wheel.

Thanks, I tried running it over with my arctic cat, it didn't really help. Not much tire there to catch hold of. I guess I'll try the truck. As far as a pipe , I really don't have anything sturdy enough that size , but I do need to figure out how to make some sort of contraption to do this better.

I tried a 4x4 , my loading ramp, and running directly over the edge. I have never had this much trouble breaking down a tire before. Like I was saying , I should be able to use some strut and maybe make some sort of tire press. I may have to visit some friends with welders to make something that just works for any time I need to swap tires around.

I used my truck and keep driving over it and spinning it to run over a different spot till it poped. get the truck tire as close to the rim of the quad tire as piosible

im having similar issue with a set of rears for my warrior stock balloon tires wont budge off the bead so im gonna run to H.F. and grab their manual tire changer see if it works

Have fun with that thing, you'll bend every part on it by the time you get the tires off. It did work though... just not a high quality piece.

I got one off, it took several times of running up on it with the truck and a 4x4. It had some rust and a glue like paste on the inside of the rim. It had to slide over that at least 4" to break the bead. The ridge on the very inside of the actual bead didn't help. Is that some sort of bead lock rim or what? I could see that not letting a flat come off the rim as easily.

Well now that the tires are swapped over I can't get them to seal on the bead. I figured a ratchet strap around the tire and a gas station air compressor would do it but it wasn't enough volume to set the bead. So now do I use the old either trick? I don't really like doing that especially with a small ATV tire. I should just find a way to borrow an air tank or fix my compressor. I haven't had this much trouble getting beads to seal like this before. Has anyone used either and a match to seal atv beads? I'm worried that it will blow the tire.

Them stock blaster wheels have that rib , do others have it as well? It sure does seem like something they did to make a flat not come off the rim like a bead lock. does anyone have an experience with that?

the blasters wheels are the only ones that i know of for the bead being such a pain.

use some thick dish soap then try the air at the station, if that doesnt do it, gut give it a small spray then light it. if it isnt enough work your way up

Them Chinese tires I put on never did seal. Actually I did end up using ether to get them on the bead but neither held air. Then I used fix a flat, didn't work. finally I tried putting some bathroom caulking all around the bead and one of them did hold air and the other one never did seal. I'm guessing the one that did hold air would've came off after hitting the slightest bump. Take it from me don't waste your time with any tire on a Chinese ATV. They are junk and probably dangerous to run. Zhong Ya is the name on these ones. I did notice the beads on both tires seem sorta bent and honestly I did not have any trouble getting them off their rims that should have done any damage.

Now ive got a blaster ready to go minus tires. Can't seem to find 8" tires anywhere used and not even at my wholesaler guys shop.

Back