Suspension Overhaul

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

Reaction score
So I am working on my project that I picked up a few weeks ago.

For the back having 2" added to the swing arm for some added hill climb ability (plus it looks bad ass). Putting on a Raptor shock, and am toying with the idea of building a shock extender for the back depending on how it feels once the swinger is done.

For the front, what is a good shock upgrade. I ride pretty rough terrain, don't want to bounce myself to death, but don't want to bottom out all over the place either any thoughts?

Also on the front, I am thinking of cutting out some sheet metal, real thin like 20gauge or something, and welding in skids on the bottom of the lower A-arms. Any thoughts on that?

For front shocks Works, Elka, Ohlins, PEP, and Fox are to name a few. Ive had both Works and Ohlins but they needed rebuilt so i cant comment on those but i do have Fox Floats and they are sooo soft. Feels like imriding o n a cloud. Best part about them is you can adjust them wth a lil air pump thats provided to what ever riding terrain you gonna do. I dont jump alot so i kinda leave them a bit softer so they soap up every bump with ease.

About the skid for the a arms, that would work fine but what if you could make some brackets so they bolt on so you can take them off if need be.

The swing arm is a great idea if your gonna climb alot of hills. But if you just want the look and wont climb alot then i say leave it cause it does kill the turning radius. Just my .02

Can't comment on the shocks I have kfx700 on mine right now and they beat me to death in the woops. For the a arm skids you might want to bend the sheet metal up around the tubes and use hoseclamps or bolts so they are removeable then it will be easier when it's time to clean the quad

For front shocks Works, Elka, Ohlins, PEP, and Fox are to name a few. Ive had both Works and Ohlins but they needed rebuilt so i cant comment on those but i do have Fox Floats and they are sooo soft. Feels like imriding o n a cloud. Best part about them is you can adjust them wth a lil air pump thats provided to what ever riding terrain you gonna do. I dont jump alot so i kinda leave them a bit softer so they soap up every bump with ease.

About the skid for the a arms, that would work fine but what if you could make some brackets so they bolt on so you can take them off if need be.

The swing arm is a great idea if your gonna climb alot of hills. But if you just want the look and wont climb alot then i say leave it cause it does kill the turning radius. Just my .02

I do climb A LOT of hills. One of my favorite things to do until it comes up and over backwards on me.

I will probably look into making the skids removable, but will see.

Can't comment on the shocks I have kfx700 on mine right now and they beat me to death in the woops. For the a arm skids you might want to bend the sheet metal up around the tubes and use hoseclamps or bolts so they are removeable then it will be easier when it's time to clean the quad

clean??? uhhhh.... what is that?? some sort of fruit or something??? :haha:

I do climb A LOT of hills. One of my favorite things to do until it comes up and over backwards on me.

I will probably look into making the skids removable, but will see.

k then yeah you'll love the extra length and stability. Thats why i went with my +3 lonestar. You gotta be carefull when jumping it as its not as stable off a jump but other than that and the turning getting wider i wouldnt change mine for world

I just picked up a raptor shock off of ebay the other day. Waiting for it to show up. Will see how I like that.....

Question..... I got my new shock today. The hose on that is shorter than what is on the warrior. Can I switch them? If I do how do I refill the shock? Can any shop do it? Thanks in advance.

Yea it has the remote ressie ... I was hoping to reuse the stock mount but I can make a new mount....

Beastly, what exactly do you have?

Started pulling it apart today, but the rain was hindering progress. I pulled the swing arm so I can have that done this weekend (friend at work doing it for me). Going to look at fixing up the shock mount in the back probably tomorrow. Also think I am going to polish a few things back there, the skid and shock linkage.

Going to start pulling the rest apart tomorrow.

Also going to look at better spots for the oil cooler when it is all apart. Seems like there are better spots that it could go with a little work. I don't like where everyone else is putting it on the front, doesn't seem like it would cool very well. I am also thinking of hooking up a fan to a temp switch or maybe even a small gauge if I can find one that will work. I like to be a little more technical than necessary, just my nature, and since I work as an engineer, just kind of habit. I like things to be full proof.

I am planning on having the rear suspension work done and at least the cooler installed by next weekend if possible. I am also doing the clutch plate mod as soon as the plate comes in the mail so I will install the cooler at the same time. Shitty thing is I found out I need carrier bearings so might not be able to ride.

Last edited:
Yea I just looked. For right now I am pretty happy with the front shocks. Just want to get the stuff on the back done.

Dropped off the swing arm last night, hopefully he has it done by the end of the weekend. In the mean time I am waiting for the new bearings/seals, and parking brake block off plate to show up.

Put the raptor shock on today. Cut the old ressie mounts off and welded them back on by the wiring harness, works pretty good. I don't have the back end on (waiting on new carrier bearings and brake block off) and am already pretty sure I like that better.

Still don't have the swing arm done yet either, guy didnt get to it this weekend. Hopefully he will be able to get that done in the next couple days. Really want to go riding this weekend.

Back