So my 94 quit....

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bomber315

Reaction score
so here goes.... 2 saturdays ago i was riding about 2 miles from home, a pop a small wheelie and after it falls back down my fourwheeler just dies... i try to start it again and it would fire just once or twice... after about 5 tries it wouldn’t even fire at all... i pulled the gas line off the carb and it ran fine... i checked the plug wire and it was tight... not having anytime to piss around before work (which i ended up being late to) and even less tools my cousin gave me a ride back to the garage on his wr250 (bike) and we got the sportsman and towed it home..... at this point im thinking something electrical got hot and gave up.... well back up a second... when we first started towing it i got it up to 6th and popped the clutch.. nothing... but it was turning the motor over so fast it sounded like it was running... so i fiddled with all the switches and wires i could while still steering and couldn’t get it to fire... i gave up.. until we were about 1/8 mile from home on the blacktop and starting to head down a hill, i dumped the clutch again in 6th and it pop, bang, pop, bang, pop, waaaAAAMBAAAA! came alive!... now im thinking, "wtf, i must definitely have a coil of some sorts going bad and it finally got cool enough" so he tows my now running fourwheeler to the garage i unhook it and let er rip down thru the yard... it seems to run just fine but i only get to like 3rd gear, then i let it sit and idle... it idles just fine... i realize i am now late fore work and i haul ass outta there telling my cousin to go beat the piss outta it and see if he can get it to quit again...

the next day i talk to my cousin and he claims it didnt miss a beat... hmmmm... i now figure "that damn float needle must have stuck the float closed... that makes sense... it did seem like it ran outta gas..." i just rebuilt the carb last year and i started it a few times during the winter to keep the gas fresh... not to mention i have ran probably 3 tanks thru it since it started getting nicer.... i figure "it must have just been a fluke, to bad i didnt think to smack the float bowl with a rock, it probably would have knocked the float loose and i could have rode home"

well i didnt ride all week, but saturday when i went for just a small ride i made it about as far as one would expect to make it on a bowl full of gas (1/4 mile or so) and BAAAaaaa... it died again.. ****... tried restarted it and it did the same thing... fire once or twice for the first few trys but then quit firing after that...no one with me this time... no one at home to help me tow... but lots of time to fix this bitch in the woods (thank God).... so i proceed to beat the hell outta the floatbowl with a rock... didnt help... i took the fuel line off and it ran free... i took the vent line off my gas cap, put it on the inlet to the carb and tried blowing the the float free... didnt work... i then figured... "ok fine how bout this" and i let the fuel line run into the top carb vent (which leads to the bowl) once it started running out the overflow i stopped... "alright its gonna fire up now".... WRONG! So I started pushing… (warriors aren’t meant to be pushed) after about 50 feet up a slight incline I started walking hahaha… went back got the sportsman and towed it in by myself (a whole ‘nother story there hahaha)

once in the garage, I know I have gas in the float bowl now but figure the pilot or something must be clogged… so I crack open the drain with the petcock on… it runs and runs and run… turn the gas it stops…. Hmmm my float isn’t stuck anymore… so I try to start it… nothing… pull the plug… it looks dry… check for spark, its there and blue but not big a blue like on my sleds… I figure since the gap is smaller than on my sleds that must be why its not as bright… so I try a brand new plug for the heck of it… same looking spark, but this time it comes out wet for sure… “greeeeeate I have gas and spark but no fire… I don’t like this equation” so I start looking at wires… I don’t get too far and I find a yellow wire on the cdi is worn bare… swap out cdi’s out and still the same……… I think im going stop this story there… anyone have a clue what it might be?? I think I found the problem but I just want a little reassurance hahaha

ok so your dorks cant even make a guess what my problem might be? well he is what i think it is.. you tell me if you agree... i tested the stator coils and found the source coil to be 313... right in spec... i found the pickup coli to be 51.6k ohms... WHOA! issue there i would think... i ordered a new ricky stator pickup coil from email... it is in the process of riding across the us from CA... hopefully that was my problem... we'll see when it gets here

It seems to be a common problem on warriors. The pick up coil was bad on mine but the kid i bought it from swore it was the cdi and destroyed it while trying to "fix" the cdi. I got the pickup coil from ricky stator and it has worked well for the past couple of years

also check the ground wires i had about the samething happen last spring. mine was the little wire that goes into the harness off the negative cable. the little connector near the harness corroded and broke. i wired mine together and havent had a problem since.

yeah ill have to got over all the other wires to i guess... the part that gets me is the whole stator is less than a year old... too bad i bought some odd (POS) electix brand.... i dont know if it had a warranty or not.. i dont care...

Alright.... so your getting fuel and spark but no bang. First things first if you have a timing light just check the timing, I know its a bitch because while you crank it just spits out oil all over your light and in your eyes. Usually I wouldnt say do this just first off but it sound kinda like a sheared flywheel key and and it is way off time. Also for future reference just because your pickup coil is bad you dont have to replace the whole stator assy, Just solder and shrink wrap a new one in the harness inside the gen cover, you can get them from ricks,ricky's,or rm stator.com.
Also make sure that all of the connections are free from corrosion(cdi,Ignition coil,stator harnes,left handlebar switch, Engine ground wire etc..) and reconnect with dielectric grease especially on an atv. Honestly with all of the problems you have explained there aint no damn tellin what your problem is. But I think your readings are backwards you explained on th coils, 313 on source coil would be way off and 53 on pickup would be completely off but if you flipped the readings on both coils it would be well within spec that if it is a 300 ohm pickup coil which I think it is. Hope you figure it out keep looking before you start throwing electrical parts alt it.

Hope its any help.

henry03250 said:
Alright.... so your getting fuel and spark but no bang. First things first if you have a timing light just check the timing, I know its a bitch because while you crank it just spits out oil all over your light and in your eyes. Usually I wouldnt say do this just first off but it sound kinda like a sheared flywheel key and and it is way off time. Also for future reference just because your pickup coil is bad you dont have to replace the whole stator assy, Just solder and shrink wrap a new one in the harness inside the gen cover, you can get them from ricks,ricky's,or rm stator.com.
Also make sure that all of the connections are free from corrosion(cdi,Ignition coil,stator harnes,left handlebar switch, Engine ground wire etc..) and reconnect with dielectric grease especially on an atv. Honestly with all of the problems you have explained there aint no damn tellin what your problem is. But I think your readings are backwards you explained on th coils, 313 on source coil would be way off and 53 on pickup would be completely off but if you flipped the readings on both coils it would be well within spec that if it is a 300 ohm pickup coil which I think it is. Hope you figure it out keep looking before you start throwing electrical parts alt it.

Hope its any help.

your right it could also be a sheared flywheel key... while im in there replacing the pickup coil ill check that....i dont really expect it because i dont think it would have started again a week later if that is what happend the first time(acted the same, tho it could be unrelated) im not sure where you are getting your numbers for the coil resistance? as per the yamaha manual the source coil is supposed to be 270-330... mine measured 313... the pickup coil is supposed to be 171-209 mine measured 51.6k.... i realize all i need is the pickup coil that why thats all i ordered hehehe i was saying a yeah ago (when everything tested with way high resistance) i bought some Electrix brand from my neighborhood parts guy... i wasnt impressed with it because after a week of pounding my head off the wall i found out the pickup coil wires were backwards in the plug, filpped them and it fired right up... but now all sources point to that same coil being junk....

i already bought a new tube of dielectic grease sunday and i am going to go over everywire and plug (maybe tonight) while i wait on the pickup coil to come... might be here tomorrow... one thing i didnt think of was the the grounds ill have to check that like someone said prior

ok here is the solution for now at least....

the pickup coil came last week and so i tore into the stator housing only to find i made a really dumb mistake!! i was going off of of the OEM colors and they didnt match up to the shitty electix brand coil wires (yet another reason not to trust that your neighborhood parts guy's brand is the same thing) it didnt take me long to realize the coil i found with high resistance on was actually the source coil! awe dammit! what a dumb mistake but in my defense if your going to make a red wire and a white wire why wouldnt you make them run to the same coil as the red and white wires do on the oem?? morons... i hooked the multimeter leads up the the source coil and pissed around with the wires right where they connect to it... sure enough, wiggle it one way and the circut becomes open, wiggle another way and it just plain high resistance all over the place... so straight to ricky stator i go.... a week later my stator comes in... i install it (breaking the crank bolt in the crank along the way, got a miracle there getting it out)... ok so i got everything back together at least enough to try it... and..... whooooomba! it starts on the first revolution! thank god the $160 paid off.... and now my connections are all greased and taped... maybe this thing will be bomb proof now? only time will tell

(and now i have a ricky stator pickup coil on the shelf for the next time it blows)

yeah i havent actually go tthe backfenders back on and taken it out of the garage but it fired up nice..... that SOB has a major beating in store for it tomorrow... might even take the night off drinkin so i can get up and beat it earlier!

bomber315 said:
yeah i havent actually go tthe backfenders back on and taken it out of the garage but it fired up nice..... that SOB has a major beating in store for it tomorrow... might even take the night off drinkin so i can get up and beat it earlier!

i like to beat it before i go to bed, that way i can sleep in.....i couldnt resist

hahaha good one... im going to go beat it right now! its been a couple weeks since i beat it

hah i know what your sayong "warriors arnt ment to be pushed, every time we wanted to rid on the trails before this spring, we woudl have to pushe are bike this one 200ft strech of road, to get to the legal roads (theres liek three cops in this one square mil, ive got pulled over and warned for doing 32 in a 25 zone, like how the hell am i supposed to know my speed exactly) but anyways, ive also had to push mine 1/2 mile outta the woods to a road where it could get picked up (put the gas on reserve and forgot about it) then one time had to push 1/3 a mile threw 6in of snow after my quad stalled and my battery was dead. the most recent time i was pusing was when my dads ol honda 250x threw a chain 1/8mi down the trail (pos honda) and yeah put a good slice in the crank, where it would spit oil so we had to jb weld that, and never never never never buy a 300ex or 250x, they are the most unstable quad mankind has ever seen. ive flipped that 250x going 10 mph, and thast besieds the other 4 times i flipped it, never once flipped a warrior. but hey cant expect too much i mean its a honda after all

Latest posts

Back