Lower drive chain roller?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar1

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys have eliminated the lower roller bushing on the frame that goes on the inside of the drive chain. Or is it a fixed slack adjuster? Anyhow, I noticed my chain was rubbing the bare metal on it, so I cut the piece off with a die grinder. Is there really any purpose for the part I just eliminated?

Yeah, it's there to keep the chain from flailing around and jumping off the sprockets. I don't know if it's really that effective or important, but I can't help but think that if Yamaha put them there, it was for a purpose.

Is there a reason you didn't just replace the $5 roller instead of just hacking the mount off?

my old warrior had it removed ... never had any issues

i think that some of the people here running the 660 rear shock say it rubs .. and some of them have removed it

also my new warrior has had it removed .. never had any issues at all ..... proper care for your chain and sprockets and you shouldnt have a problem if you remove it

Well I just figured it would be more than $5 to replace. The 2 screws that go in the reservoir lid on the handlebars was $2 and change, and nobody but Yamaha has 'em. And the fact that I don't have a Yamaha store within 30 miles of my house probably helped with my decision. To be honest, I ride dirt roads and in fields 97% of the time, its not like I'm doing really technical trails and such.

for your screws .... you couldve just went to you local hardware store and got some new ones .....

Yeah I tried that. ACE, NAPA, Tire & Oil, none of them had it. They had some with hex heads, but I wasn't having that.

lowes hardware ......

home depot.....

the screw that are in a electrical outlet ..(if youbuy a new socket from lowes or whereever)http://www.connections87.com/images/electrical_outlet.jpg
im pretty sure thoses are the same thread picth ..the screws that are on the top and bottom

gotta think of other options some times .....various things you could rob a screw from ..
a bicycle,old home appliances, just whatever you got lying around

might sound dumb but it works gotta do what you gotta do

Well by the looks of it, its designed to ride on the bottom one. The top one is for support when the suspension is bottomed out after landing a jump or something. I would've taken the top one off to use on the bottom, but its hard and missing a chunk out of one side. If the guys running Raptor 660 rear shocks ain't having problems w/o one, I hope that I won't. If the roller ever went out when you were on a trail in the middle of nowhere, the chain itself would rub the roller's peg off before you could get back to the truck. Plus if you ever do wheelies, that roller would transfer a heap of tension to the chain.

ive got an 88 warrior and its missing the lower roller and mounting bracket, im also missing a right adjuster bolt, my chain gets very loose and jumps teeth sometimes, what can i put inpace of the missing lower roller to keep my chain from slippin? i think the missing adjuster bolt has alot to do with it.. im new to the scene so...

So you're missing the bolt that adjusts the right side of the carrier? You better get one before you tear up your sprockets and chain, because you may have the axle out of line and not realize it. Its always less tension on the right side of the carrier, you'll find that out when you go to adjust it with both bolts in place. Be sure to get one exactly like the left one so you can measure the length of the bolt sticking out to ensure axle alignment. The bolt is a bigger deal than the chain roller. The chain roller limits the amount that the slack in the chain can bounce around.

When I lowered mine I put on a MOOSE RACING roller with the bearing . Works great Also they make them adj. up and down .

well I'm starting to regret cutting the mount off. It would take some good welding skills to get it back on like it was. I see how much the slack bounces around though, thats the only thing that bothers me. Its not hitting the plastic guide, so maybe it'll be ok till I figure something out.

Hey sidewayz, if I'm reading this right the kit includes mounting hardware. The stock replacement for the Warrior doesn't have a bearing in it so it says, so which one did you get? The plate made into the frame is still there, I would be able to get the Moose stuff and reattach it it looks like.

I cut the mount off and had to drill the hole a little bigger . It comes with a bolt and nut . Simple fix . I was confused when I said it adj. up and down - thats the top one . But if you welded a flat piece of steel to the frame and drilled holes in it , you could adj. it to .

I don't think I would really need for it to adjust. I'm thinking the part # M795-00 is what I need, (and its probably what you've got since it's got the ball bearings) and it actually is what they (Moose's website) have listed for the Raptor 350. The one listed for the Warrior is just a stock replacement that uses the frame boss. Thanks for suggestion!

I made a set of rollers by turning down some old skate board wheels in a lathe. Works good so far and they have been on for 2 yrs.

Back