New Clutch: To add or not to add plate?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellethuntr

Reaction score
So later this week I will be installing a Tusk clutch kit in my Warrior. It doesn't take much reading around to find guys talking about adding a clutch plate into the stack for a better gripping clutch.

Is that something worth doing with my brand new clutch or should I wait until I notice some slip and then add a plate?

From what I understand is you can add an extra plate or install upgraded springs. Both provide extra clamping force. I just installed a new kit with upgraded springs. If you do both I would imagine the clutch lever will start getting a little hard to pull.

From what I understand is you can add an extra plate or install upgraded springs. Both provide extra clamping force. I just installed a new kit with upgraded springs. If you do both I would imagine the clutch lever will start getting a little hard to pull.

The Tusk kit comes with "Heavy Duty" springs for what it's worth. I'm a big guy and don't mind the extra clutch pull if it's safe to add a plate and worth the gains.

I changed my clutch recently and used the Tusk kit with the hd springs and added the extra plate. Clutch works great and is easy to pull, I think so anyway. But if you are worried about the clutch lever being too stiff to pull maybe you should set your purse down before you ride. lol

Not that I or others can't pull a hard clutch lever, but being unnecessarily hard to pull is just uncomfortable when you just want to trail ride with the family. I'm actually converting mine to hydraulic while I'm in the middle of my rebuild.

If you're looking for max clutch grip, I read smooth plates is what you want vs dimples. The negative is the clutch may be hard to disengage at times. I installed a Marshall racing clutch just because I got it cheap. We'll see how it holds up when I put some boost on it. I believe driving hard on pavment puts a lot more stress on the clutch because there is no tire slip like on dirt.

Yes install an extra steel plate. It helps the clutch last longer and grab harder. Ive always had an extra steel plate in all the warriors i have owned and the clutch pull it no harder than before adding the extra plate. If the lever is hard to pull, get a good pro motion terminator cable and a good clutch perch. Also when changing the clutch make sure the clutch basket doesnt have bad grooves. If theyre not bad just file them smooth. If theyre severe it needs replaced.

Thanks for the feed back guys!

I went ahead and installed the kit without the extra plate, it grips a lot better than clutch pack that was in it when I got it. I haven't decided whether it's worth it or not to take it all back apart and add a plate.

Maybe in a couple weeks when I get bored and need something to tinker with.

Do the Raptor 350 clutch cable mod. Night and day difference in pull on the lever.

Back