88 warrior rochester,ny

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosricer

Reaction score
hey guys just picked up a warrior for $600 ill post pics soon.

sold my blaster spur of the moment picked this up a few hours later to replace it. when i got there the warrior started right up and i drove it down the drive way and back and shut it off. paid the dude and took it home. ever sense i got home i havnt been able to get it to start. i put a new battery in it and still same thing hit the starter button and the relay clicks. some time the starter wil try to engage but dosnt seem to have the nuts to start it. am i right to assume the starter is shot? i tryed the pull cord and the rope broke took it apart and rhe plastics all warn out inside so havnt been able to try to pull start it.

well either way i got it now and im here to stay. gonna fix this up and ride the heck outta it

Hi.

Check all your electrical connections for loose connections, corrosion, etc... Try jumping the solenoid with a screw driver and see what it does. Make sure the the grounds are good, clean, and tight. Getting tired of typing this over and over. Maybe should copy and save this for another members starting issue? Lol. Good luck, man!

yeah id say he has the righ idea, either starter, solenoid, battery, or whatever lol

hey guys just picked up a warrior for $600 ill post pics soon.

sold my blaster spur of the moment picked this up a few hours later to replace it. when i got there the warrior started right up and i drove it down the drive way and back and shut it off. paid the dude and took it home. ever sense i got home i havnt been able to get it to start. i put a new battery in it and still same thing hit the starter button and the relay clicks. some time the starter wil try to engage but dosnt seem to have the nuts to start it. am i right to assume the starter is shot? i tryed the pull cord and the rope broke took it apart and rhe plastics all warn out inside so havnt been able to try to pull start it.

well either way i got it now and im here to stay. gonna fix this up and ride the heck outta it

If its hard to pullstart, you might be making the same mistake I did, dont try to pull it without using the compression release....you will snap the pull cord or the ridiculous amount of compression will make the knots pull through the hole and you will have to keep refeeding the pull cord. The compression release should be on the right front side of the motor beside the header, its a lever, pull it up until it clicks and stays up, it will drop back down after every pull so you have to keep putting it up until it starts. Best of luck my friend and welcome to the forum, there is alot of valuable info here and alot of helpful people.

Sorry guys been really busy lately and have not yet looked thru the forums yet at all so im sorry if i ask questions or mention things that are already discussed on here when i get more time ill search and read up on all that i can. i like to be well informed about my toys lol

i beleave that the warrior is actully a 87 it has the repaceable ball joint upper and lower a-arms. well all are except the left upper a-arm but when the ball joint gose bad in it ill replace it with a 87 arm and new ball joint

Well finealy spent some time on the warrior ive diag. it to have a bad starter. took it apart and its horriable inside isnt even a canidate for a rebuild so i orderd a new one.

Im pretty good with wireing so In the mean time im going to clean up and fix some of it. i havnt found anything wrong with it but its just a bit of a mess from PO( splice here, spice there) and that drives me crazy! i am a bit OCD when it comes to the way i like my toys to have the wireing lol. also i need to add some headlights, so ill do that at the same time.
also i really dont like the old style glass fuse in the back the holder is shot and pulls aprt really easy so ill prolly rewire that.(any idea's weclcome)

i orderd it some new parts this morning
all wheels/chassis bearing seals kit(front wheels, rear axle,lower steering steem,swing arm)
new starter
brake pads front and rear
a-arm bushing kit
right upper ball joint
one outer tie rod end
and more to come later these are just the things that made the list of must have's

the warior was loved by some one at some point. frame is painted blue swing arm,a-arms,steering steem, foot pegs,hubs and few other things are red. front claipers are black. all the paint is prety warn and shows its age i figure it was done 10+ years ago.
works front shocks
rear shock seems to be stock but may have been revalved at some point
itp aluminum wheels good rear mud bogers, front are shot but hold air
1.5" front wheel spacers
aluminum skid plate under rear axle
moose racing handle bars

ive taken off the rear rack already and thru it in the scrap pile. it needs a new front bumper bad idk whats on it now but it dosnt fit and aint for it at all.

i miss my blaster tho i could be out riding right now:argh: but im hopeing to enjoy my warrior more once its ready to rip:atv:

Attachments

• warrior4.jpg
    warrior4.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 12
  • warrior3.jpg
    warrior3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
  • warrior2.jpg
    warrior2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 13
  • warrior.jpg
    warrior.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
i miss my blaster tho i could be out riding right now:argh: but im hopeing to enjoy my warrior more once its ready to rip:atv:
It could be an 87 or an 88.. I had a hard time finding out mine (which had the same color scheme). I ran the vin# about 10 times before I found out it was an 87.
But they used the same numbers for 2 years, that correspond with each other.

I've been looking to buy a blaster myself, I kinda feel for you on buy'n a 4 stroke. lmao
There is nothing like the "raw power", and simplicity of a 2 stroke.
But don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'll be pleased with your Warrior. I was till the 2 stroke bug bit me again after a 15 year hiatus. So I just swapped the biggest 2 stroke I could find into my warrior. :evilface:

The 350 is a good reliable motor though, if you keep up on the maintenance of it.. I just found some parts a tad to pricey, and it was underpowered..

Not a bad lookin bike dude! And you already have $500 worth of shocks on the front if it! Get yourself a banshee rear and you'll be in heaven. Have the same set up on my 88 and LOVE it! One way to be sure it is an 87, is to look at the lower steering stem bearing. The 88-04 and the raptor 350's have a bearing and a good 2" diameter seal. The 87 had a brass bushing. Have never seen one, so I don't know exactly what it looks like. But, since you intend to do all the chassis bearings over you'll find out soon enough. Try to find stock 87-88 headlights is all I ask. Keep up the 1st gen look, brother! Does that thing have a tow hith on it? Looks like I see a tow ball in the pic.

They used to offer a bolt on hitch for the 87-88 warriors. Wouldn't mind having one, for around the farm. Cause ya never know when the 3 hondas will have a trailer on the back of them, and the warrior could be put to work.

yes thats a custom tow hitch and yes its welded right to the carrior or id take it off but hey sense it there ill put it to use bringing the trailer around from the back of the house to the front and stop driving the truck thru the lawn lol

you'll be sad to know i prolly wont put stock front headlight on it, i plan to run 4 fog lights.

yea i geuss ill find out if its a 87 when the bearings come in. will kinda stink tho if its the bushing cuz i got the bearing not knowing about a possible bushing. w/e tho i figure it out.

mathius : that set up sounds sick makes me wanna build something like it with a big wild 2 stroke. but friend crashed his 95 zx6r few nights ago and im trying to pick it up to maybe swap into the warrior.not right away tho will ride the 350 till winter and make it a lil project. i also have a extra 900rr motor sitting around have most of what id need to make it run just would need a few small things.... hmmm 900rr warrior...to much?

mathius : that set up sounds sick makes me wanna build something like it with a big wild 2 stroke. but friend crashed his 95 zx6r few nights ago and im trying to pick it up to maybe swap into the warrior.not right away tho will ride the 350 till winter and make it a lil project. i also have a extra 900rr motor sitting around have most of what id need to make it run just would need a few small things.... hmmm 900rr warrior...to much?

I wouldn't put a big ass bike motor in a Warrior frame, especially if you want a trail quad.. I did the 490 swap cause I thought the weight savings would be interesting, and I was try'n to build a quad that Yamaha could'a/should'a built in 87'. lol
The first gen warriors just don't handle good enuf for a crotch rocket motor. Maybe something small, and light might be cool (like a YZ250 mill).. The first thing you'll miss is reverse though!!
My 490 hybrid is a bit to crazy. To much motor, not enuf quad. And the fact that handling upgrades just aren't readily available for 1st gens, I would just keep it stock.. :iagree:

I'm gonna turn mine into a dune racer/hillclimber. But it's gonna cost me a few grand to get it to that point.
If you really wanna build something crazy try to find a YFZ chassis, that would make for a killer machine with a crotch rocket mill...

ok quick lil update and will post pics when i have more time.

decided to put the warrior on a 7 day plan well i wait for parts to arrive.
so we ripped it down to pretty much bare frame, painting the frame and swingarm as we speak. still need to prep and shoot the a-arms, hubs and other things.today is day 3 i better go get to work!

Back